Barrel Nut Wrench

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is a S&W barrel nut for a 500 magnum revolver. Can anyone tell me where I can get a wrench to fit it?
6E7210E0-2426-40D8-8D92-75A31C3C6C25.jpeg

Do you have the equipment to make one? With some tool steel and careful hand work it should be doable . If your time is counted it is probably cheaper to by one ,but what's the fun in that.

I have considered that, but would rather see if I can pick one up for $29 first!

A quick cruise around google shows a lot of people in your predicament. One guy poured cerrosafe into the nut and wrenched it off that way. Otherwise it makes the most sense to make a tool yourself

Try contacting S&W Customer Service and send them a picture. If they install them, they have to have a tool to do it.

I’ve checked all the notmal gunsmithing suppliers and left messages at S&W and their performance center. No return calls. I was hoping it might be a standard wrench or an off beat Torx version that I didn’t know about.

If you choose to make your own tool, it doesn't need to be that 8-point vault key design, you could probably make a simple t-handle with two lobes and be fine. The people on the internets were saying the nut is easy to break loose once you've got a bite on it.

Back