BARDONS & OLIVER NO.2 geared turret lathe

Ridgerunner

Registered
Registered
I have a Bardons & Oliver NO.2 geared turret lathe in my shop. I was thinking of getting rid of it to make some space for some other shop equipment. Years back I needed a lathe at the time, and ended up with it, doing some horse trading for some military truck parts. I've only used it for facing a few things since I had it all these years, and can't justify keeping it around. Because I'm not a machinist by trade, I have really no use for a turret lathe. I'm curious as what it might be worth? It came with a full set of collets, 3-jaw chuck, quick release chuck (don't know what it's actually called, but you can see it in laying in the upper pan) and it has also been converted to a (single-phase 220) variable drive, DC motor.

I welcome any input, thoughts or opinions....

BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 1.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 2.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 3.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 4.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 5.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 6.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 7.jpgBARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 8.jpg

BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 1.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 2.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 3.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 4.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 5.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 6.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 7.jpg BARDON&OLIVER NO.2 turret lathe 8.jpg

The thing in the pan is the collet closer, it fits on the back end of the spindle; the levers push against a tube that runs inside the spindle and pushes against the back of the collet. I had one just like this, and it was very handy for making small parts in quantity, but without fairly extensive tooling not much can be made. The cross slide can be fed with either a handlever or the handwheel; the lever feed is fast for forming and cutoff, the crank better for certain other work; the fact that there is no automatic feed on the cross slide in either direction (long or cross feed) limits the usefulness of this type of turret lathe as opposed to the "universal" type with power feeds on all movements.

Just some history on it. Originally it was bought and used for making parts for Chris Craft boats. Then in the late 70's early 80's, a company that builds bottling equipment bought it, and used it to make bronze/brass bushings for their machines with it. Then mid 90's, it when to a fabrication company that made parts on it for oil filter crushers. And now it sits in my barn, coming in handy once in a great while, but making anything production...

These Types of lathes are designed primarily for production type work, where your making a lot of duplicate parts. You tool it up for the various operations and then just get into a part running routine. This would be good for a small run production shop.

Not that this is any indication of what you can get, but I got a #5 last year that was listed for sale for over a year at $2,500 and dropped to $1,200 for another year. I got it for a little more than the scrap man would have gave at roughly 4,000 pounds. The downside to mine might have been the size or the location or the electrical requirement (3ph) there's really no telling. Good thing your not closer or I'd probably be coming to check it out

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back