Bandsaw mill ram tensioner (from new guy)

Richardvonmann

Registered
Registered
So I built a bandsaw mill because cedar boards are really expensive for one and they don't come in the lengths I needed for a fence I wanted to build. Building a bandsaw mill from scratch is a feat in its self, building it for under 1,200 bucks? Means scrounging for parts a pieces from the scrap yard next door. So long story short, my first attempt wasn't exactly a success, having a band fly off at full speed and chase a dog across a yard? Didn't exactly make me feel like I was getting any where, never seen that dog move so fast in my life, dogs okay, band mill got full rebuild.

I think starting over is harder than starting from new, cutting out parts and remanufacturing isn't exactly fun.

Anyhow, mill started cutting better, and yes now I have a gaurd on the blade. So boards still aren't coming out exactly the way I want them, well they look good enough for a fence, but planning them for other uses shows that they are a little wavey. Now from what I was reading, wavey boards can be a cause of a few things. So since the floor jack that I was using to tension the blade wasn't holding pressure long enough to satisfy that issue, it was time to come up with another plan for a tensioner. The best system seems to be a porta power ram, and a manufacturer actually sells a porta sorta power thingy that I like, only issue? 400 bucks? There has to be a cheaper way!

It isn't by no means rocket science, it was actually so simple, it took me by surprise when I thought about it. Now a porta power jack is basically another floor jack, same pumping system, what I was thinking was two rams hooked together, so if you compress one, the other extends. Pretty simple.
(Pictures aren't the best, cheap camera phone.)

porta ram 009.jpg porta ram 011.jpg porta ram 012.jpg porta ram 016.jpg porta ram 017.jpg

Back