Bandsaw Cutting Questions

Nice looking saw, good luck with it. if it were my saw I'd add some antifreeze to the mix for sure. But then again I may just use ,changed out hydraulic oil . I have been using it as cutting fluid for a couple years I have a gallon I saved from a repair on my lift table. Seems to do ok on steel haven't tried it on aluminum yet but wouldn't be afraid to use it on there too. I like the saw never saw one in person only the adds. Looks more substantial then the 4x6 model in quality .

Being that the cheap HF saw is in the bandsaw, I might just throw some water in the coolent mixed with expired Olive oil. I've also got some old motor oil. Seems you can put just about anything you want in the coolent? A good use for old lubricants.

Keep in mind that not all oil is water soluble. Be careful what you try to mix together, maybe do a sample first?

I agree with Dan, I use Rustik from Enco at the recommended dilution with no issues. Sometimes I add a little way oil to the bearings/blade and wipe down the surfaces after cutting and apply way oil. Seems to stick well and minimize the rust. I also add some Clorox to the water to keep the mold from growing in the solution when not in use. One thing to factor in, cutting emulsion oils are optimized for a given ratio of water to cutting fluid. In the heat the water will evaporate and the ratio changes with time, so you may need to add some water, and/or replace the fluids. I still running on my same batch of Rustik from a year ago, but it is about time to change it out. A gallon goes a long way in these smaller machines. There was another highly recommended emulsion cutting oil called Blasocut, but haven't used it.
http://www.blaser.com/index.cfm?type=land&navid=48&subid=450&land=us

I am still running my original metal bandsaw blade (think it is 6 TPI), but have a slightly finer variable pitch Lenox that I plan on replacing it with. The stock blade is a bit too coarse for cutting smaller stock. I use extensions on the clamping surfaces when cutting small stock close to the blade

Enco sells a wide range of emulsion cutting oils and the Lenox blades, get them when on sale with free shipping, hard to beat the pricing.

use 7' 9" X 3/4" .032 10RKR Agressor band saw blade, enco catalog 240-4759

turn pro.JPG

charl

I made my first cut, a 5/8" steel plate that will be bolted atop a cheap HF anvil (seen in one of the photos in the background). The hydraulics is really nice on the bandsaw. I have to order some rustick, but in the meantime, I continuously squirted a mixture of kerosene and cutting oil on the blade.

I know that common wisdom says not to purchase carbide blades, but since I can't find a bimetal from enco, I'll get a 14 and 18 tpi carbide blade from them for my 3/4 X 93 blade.

IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0104.jpg

Mksj; thanks; you're better than me at finding stuff on their website! Enco has free shipping code with most recent catalog they sent me for this month orders over $200. I plan to buy some lathe collets as well for my SB9A and see if they have a boring head that fits an MT2 tailstock.

Back