Bandsaw Cutting Questions

SE18

Active User
Registered
Background: I have yet to make a cut with my new HF 7x12 bandsaw. I purchased a roller stand and built a platform for the saw to rest on with wheels and I also purchased a HF 1-ton hoist to lift it onto the platform so I don't strain my back. I'll do that today and then make some cuts. But before I cut, I have a couple questions (I'll take a photo of it later today):

1. I plan to mostly cut steel so what type of cutting fluid do I need to purchase that won't break the bank?

2. The carbide blade it came with only has 6 teeth per inch. That seems like a low number to cut steel with. I know some have recommended bi-metal. So what's a good tooth count for general mild steel jobs?

Ideally, it would be good to purchase the cutting fluid and new bandsaw blade from the same place to avoid double shipping charges. Thanks.

How is going to be applied, flood?

Harbor Freight has blades with more TPI but I don't think they have any cutting fluids. Depending on your rush, Amazon, Ebay or a store like Grainger, MSC would work. To be honest, a lot of the smaller cut off saws I have used cut tool steels, D2 and the like, dry, aquaous fluids can cause rust issues if not cleaned off. If tor really want you could look for a sulphur containing cutting oil and use it for drilling and tapping and other machining purposes

Hopefully your saw will have a chart showing recommended teeth per inch vs thickness. The key is to have at least 3 teeth in the cut. For thin materials I use an 18 tooth wavy bi-metal blade. Most of the time I cut using a 20 to 1 mix of Rustlik. I have not seen any rust issues -- I also run at 100 SFPM unless I plan on cutting a lot of aluminum. Good luck. I know you will

Local plumbing supply or hardware store will have thread cutting oil. Good idea to have some sort of blade wiper at or near the forward guide. Mike

Lenox has what I think is a good guide (see below). See page 23 for selecting pitch for various material thicknesses.

Attachments

• LENOX Guide to Band Sawing.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 39
Thanks, that Lenox guide looks very useful. I've got a 3/4" thick piece of mild steel flat, that I need to cut the 6" width so 6TPI looks right according to that Lenox guide. Since I only need this one piece cut for now, I'll just dab cutting oil on the workpiece and have a go at it.

In the meantime, I'll order some Rustlick from Enco. They sell it in gallon $31 or 5 gallon, $123. Would one gallon last a while for usage just 2 times a month or so? Are you supposed to mix something in Rustlick or is good to go? It's called WS5050 Heavy-duty soluble oil.; says not to use on carbide and titanium. How often do you change the cutting fluid?

Well, just checked Enco catalog and no bi-metal blades 3/4" x 93"

BTW, I pulled my HF 1 ton hoist out of the box and set it up and used it to lift the 375lb bandsaw onto a wheeled platform. It's not easier to move around and the height is high enough to use the roller stand now.

IMG_0099.JPG

Last edited:
The soluble oil I use is cut 20:1 with water, the product your getting is probably similar but should say on the container. I bought a 5 gallon pail 5 or 6 years ago, still have a gallon or two left. The water seams to evaporate out of the mix so you can add water from time to time.

Greg

The soluble oil I use is cut 20:1 with water, the product your getting is probably similar but should say on the container. I bought a 5 gallon pail 5 or 6 years ago, still have a gallon or two left. The water seams to evaporate out of the mix so you can add water from time to time.

Hopefully the OP doesn't see this as a hi-jack, but I gotta ask you Greg since we are almost neighbours with the same climate........

I bought some soluble oil too to do some tests and at a 20:1 mix I found it would still freeze. My worry is actually splitting the reservoir base of my power hack saw it expands as it freezes like pure water does.

I had to patch a crack in the power hack saw base when I bought it. I assume a previous owner let it freeze with a water-based coolant inside.

So is that something you worry about, or can you guarantee your shop temperature is above freezing?

I have been wondering about using automotive antifreeze and water mixed with the soluble oil.

-brino

Thanks, that Lenox guide looks very useful. I've got a 3/4" thick piece of mild steel flat, that I need to cut the 6" width so 6TPI looks right according to that Lenox guide. Since I only need this one piece cut for now, I'll just dab cutting oil on the workpiece and have a go at it.

In the meantime, I'll order some Rustlick from Enco. They sell it in gallon $31 or 5 gallon, $123. Would one gallon last a while for usage just 2 times a month or so? Are you supposed to mix something in Rustlick or is good to go? It's called WS5050 Heavy-duty soluble oil.; says not to use on carbide and titanium. How often do you change the cutting fluid?

Well, just checked Enco catalog and no bi-metal blades 3/4" x 93"

BTW, I pulled my HF 1 ton hoist out of the box and set it up and used it to lift the 375lb bandsaw onto a wheeled platform. It's not easier to move around and the height is high enough to use the roller stand now.

View attachment 124558

I use Rustlick 5050 in my CNC mill at 20:1 mix. I have no problems with rust. You can mix it at just about any ratio you want.

Tom S.

Howdy neighbour,
I keep the shop heated all the time, spend more time in it than the house, so its not a problem for me. Not sure what to suggest, antifreeze would probably work but would be messy, I personally hate the feel of it on my hands and as messy as I am it would be every where. For the saw Im not sure lubrication is as important as cooling, maybe windshield washer antifreeze? I keep adding water to the saw to the point where its mostly water and put up with the rust on the saw, still seems to work, the blades last a long time versus the very short life of the ones on my old 4 x 6 that cut dry.

Greg

Back