Ball turner dilemma...

kolbroshop

Registered
Registered
I am going to make my self a ball turner for my lathe. Not that i need one often, but, what can i say... a can't help myself.... :)
I have Emco maximat super11 lathe, and my dilemma is which type to make, that classic with the turret, or the one that is called C type. Is there somebody more experienced that can write here pros and cons of each type?

I went with Jere Kirkpatrick‘s on YouTube design. Very flexible design if you want to do more than just balls.

Attachments

• 2D8EB6C6-3F14-446C-9B29-E118BB302BEB.jpeg
    2D8EB6C6-3F14-446C-9B29-E118BB302BEB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 107
I went with Jere Kirkpatrick‘s on YouTube design. Very flexible design if you want to do more than just balls.

Do the plans for this include scaling for different size lathes? I have had it on my list but without an urgent need haven't got around to ordering it. This is another I have considered. http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-13.html

My other option has been to copy and scale up the Sherline ball turner that I already have.

Do the plans for this include scaling for different size lathes? I have had it on my list but without an urgent need haven't got around to ordering it. This is another I have considered. http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-13.html

My other option has been to copy and scale up the Sherline ball turner that I already have.
I didn’t use plans. I just used the idea and let my stock dictate the end design.

I used a small rotary table and made a bit holder for it. It uses shims to get the bit height on center.
One thing I notice is that most ball turner designs require quite a lot of stick out from the chuck in order to get to the chuck side of the material.
A drawback to this approach or the one C-bag mentioned is that having anything underneath the stock limits the size that can be turned. The boring head doesn't appear to have that limitation.
IMG_4117[1].jpg IMG_4118[1].jpg

I used a small rotary table and made a bit holder for it. It uses shims to get the bit height on center.
One thing I notice is that most ball turner designs require quite a lot of stick out from the chuck in order to get to the chuck side of the material.
A drawback to this approach or the one C-bag mentioned is that having anything underneath the stock limits the size that can be turned. The boring head doesn't appear to have that limitation.
View attachment 384365 View attachment 384366
I obviously like the kind I made over the boring head. i don’t find Chuck clearance a problem using a collet chuck. I don’t like the boring head because of the huge stick out, the weird way you have to do the bits and I see no way to cut concave radius except on the end of the work so you can’t make those handles like most old American handwheels have. There is no perfect design just preferences.

The boring head conversion is pretty good about chuck clearance, especially if you make a special tool holder with the insert rotated away from the chuck.
BUT, almost useless for internal radii!
c749a954ae075f9acf49e33f0c1ad8d3.jpg
adbe4cd69a44157d4850e514d1b9b03f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You will find scores of ideas for radius turning tools on YouTube. I used Jere Kirkpatrick‘s design and made a mess of it. Allow me to share my mistakes with you.
I figured I could improve on it by using a recessed ball bearing captured in the base to allow for smoother movement; and it did. But to achieve the effortless rotation of the ball bearing meant I had introduced too many dimensional variables and that allowed for an accumulation of play at various points so I never could get it tied down solidly enough to give me the performance I had expected. :bang head:

Back