Ball screw help

Cholmes

Active User
Registered
I am thinking about changing the acme shaft on my lathes Y axis to a ball screw shaft and nut get a tighter tolerance without the binding and wear of an adjustable brass nut. Is this a good idea? Yeah or Nay? Has anyone done it?

Chuck

Last edited:
What sort of machine do you have? There may be a kit out there for it already. Also, is this a manual machine, or a CNC machine. The reason I ask the second part is that there are some drawbacks to ballscrews in manual machines. The main problem is called "self feeding" which basically involves the cutter pulling the work along in an un-controlled manner. This can happen because the the friction on ballscrews is really low (the main reason they are used), low enough that the force of cutting when climb milling is enough to overcome it.

I guess I should also ask why you want to replace your stock screws with ballscrews. You say you want higher tolerances, but ballscrews won't necessarily get you that. The main reason to go with ballscrews on a manual machine is to eliminate backlash so that you can climb mill. To eliminate backlash, you not only need a ballscrew, you also need pre-loaded nuts. Even after eliminating backlash, the ballscrew will not necessarily be more accurate than your stock screws unless you get some higher end ground screws (or your stock screws are extremely worn). A better (and likely cheaper) solution to the tolerance issue is a DRO, which will likely be accurate to within a couple tenths, regardless of what shape your screws are in. You can get a DRO for under $500. If you go for ballscrews on X and Y, and get the low end screws with DIY pre-loaded nuts, and do all the machining yourself, you're going to come in around the same price (and it might not get you what you want). I'm assuming here that you have a bridgeport clone, smaller machines are going to cost less of course.

So, think about why you want ballscrews. Depending on the answer, ballscrews may solve your problem. Alternatively, a DRO may be more satisfying.

I want to echo what DMS said. Changing your Y feed acme screw on your lathe to a ball screw would probably just switch one problem for another. A ball screw installed on a manual machine will creep from its set position when put under load. The only way to prevent this creep/movement is to lock the travel every time and this is something that would get tiresome really quick.

I appreciate the feed back. I am looking to reduce the backlash. The machine is a Baileigh PL13X40, which is the clone of the Precision-Matthews PM13X40 or whatever, they are made by the same company in Asia. Tightening the nut adjuster screw hasn't helped, I think the brass is too soft. So I thought ball screws would be the best step. I didn't think about the creep factor. I will look at the place BenjamanQ suggested and see what I can find. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck

Ok, so I was looking at thebay for anti-backlash acme nuts and run across some from GizmoCNC. Anyone on here know them or are them? Looks like a good product and $17.00 for a 1/2" nut with mount flange seems like a good chance to take to see if it will do what I am looking for.

Chuck

The delrin nut is probably a good solution for backlash elimination. Won't last forever, but should make it at least a couple years, and you can make another one cheap;)

With ballscrews, it's not so much the creep, it's more like having a cardboard box on the roof of your house. It's just fine... until somebody bumps it a little too hard and the next thing you know is that it's heading towards the earth at the speed of sound.

Another thing I will add is that is a pretty common machine, so if you still want ballscrews, you should be able to find a pre-machined set. For a manual mill all you need to do is add some friction to keep it from self feeding.

I often wonder about this
....Won't last forever, but should make it at least a couple years, ......
Many times I have seen this written. But my mower has a steel camshaft with Delrin lobes pressed on to it. After several hundred engine hours they show no appreciable wear. So im not so sure about short life expectancy when used as a slow moving nut.

Cheers Phil

You're right, I don't really have any facts to back that up....

Another thing i realized last night is that I didn't read clearly, and I assumed the OPs guestion was related to a mill this whole time... Self feeding shouldn't be an issue with a lathe. Creep due to vibration might be though. In any case, I think the delrin nut is a cheaper, simpler solution that will get you where you want to be.

Back