Ball maker

I went a similar route! Nice build! A couple of tips I learned from my first few uses:

You want a skinny diamond insert holder to allow more swing room (I still need to make mine)
Adding two tiny bubble levels on a collar is handy for knowing top dead center and centerline.
Two stop collars are worth the work.
If you have a 3D printer, make a jig that clips/screws onto the OD of the boring head base and let's you use the depth rod of a caliper to set radius.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Hi, Thanks for your help. I never used the turner for making a ball but understand what you explained and see the problem. I use it for rounding over rod stock used for tool handles and other uses, but take your much appreciated help in design and function. Thank you again, Charlie

I'm confused as to how this works to make a ball but looks like something I could build. Could you explain its operation to me?

I'm confused as to how this works to make a ball but looks like something I could build. Could you explain its operation to me?
Hi, I think the easiest way to understand the tool is to visualize it in a vertical position and it is the same principle as the others. To control this style tool simply rotate the handle. I hope this helps you. Please read my reply to Weldingrod1 for my info. Thanks, Charlie

Thanks for sharing. I need to make one also, but don’t have a boring head. But I do have a small Gilman tool slide with about 3/4” of travel. I could use that instead. You’ve given me an idea to run with.
Much appreciated.

I love when you said that you will run with the idea. that's what its all about. We post a tool or idea and we are given an opportunity to make it better and that idea hopefully continues to improve. I think we are all basically on the same page doing what we do. In the past If I tought I made a major breakthrough I'd only to learn it was done 50 years ago. Thanks, Charlie

Hi, I think the easiest way to understand the tool is to visualize it in a vertical position and it is the same principle as the others. To control this style tool simply rotate the handle. I hope this helps you. Please read my reply to Weldingrod1 for my info. Thanks, Charlie
Check rays build shows the operation around 11mm

Hello, Now you see first hand how this style works. When you do yours post it. Charlie

Back