Baldor Motor Help Please

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a friend who buys storage lockers on asked me if I want this motor for 50 bucks it's a Baldor pcl3515m 2 hp 115/ 230 rpm 3450 if it still works .I was wondering if I could use it on my jet jmd 18 mill if my motor dies or use it to make something else belt disc sander maybe. what say yee of more knowledge than I :) I think it came off a pressure washer my main concerns are can I repair it if it needs any repairs etc thanks for any input :)20160129_202416.jpg20160129_202350.jpg 20160129_202416.jpg

it would depend on the shaft it has

Check your existing motor name plate. Totally depends on what you are going to use the motor for.

I find those 2 pole (3450 rpm) motors sort of a pain. They seem to be too fast for most of my applications. Of course, you can belt it down, add an intermediate shaft etc. - but when you can easily cut the speed in half by using a 4 pole motor (1750 rpm), then you don't have to step the speed down as much. When I can find a 6 pole motor (1150 rpm), I grab it.

For example, on a conventional post style drill press, I always find even the lowest speed to too fast (a common thread topic here). One solution people use is to set up and intermediate pulley - which works great and can get you a very low speed, though it is a bit of work. Another very simple solution is to mount up a lower speed motor - the speeds won't be as low as having an intermediate pulley - but very easy to impliment. Of course, for the same horse power rating, the lower speed motor is going to be larger in diameter (has to make up the horse power via more torque instead of speed)

Was pondering making something like this but maybe just a disc sander

2016-01-29-23-16-34-299772550.jpeg

I'd connect it to a winch, mounted on the rear bumper of my truck...and when these clowns started tailgating me I'd let out about 8 feet of cable and let it flop around on the highway sparking until they backed off. :big grin:

With that worn out 8" 3-jaw chuck tied to it, too!

Sure, a 2 HP motor's worth 50, but is it worth 50 *to you*?

If that's a pressure washer pump still attached to it (and still working), it'd make a cool lube feed for gun drilling, or you could do a Glumpy and pressurise a furnace oil-burner with it...

Dave H. (the other one)

it mighr be too fast for a milling machine. but for a sander it would work. bill

BALDOR motors are usually high quality. As for the mill I think it's way to fast. I'm sure it would make a great disc sander. The shaft no matter how long or short would determine how you build it. Might be able to use as both belt and disc sander. $50.00 sounds fair but make it with it runs or money back.. I think it's reversible too. It may work well with a hydraulic pump also.

Back