Balancing A Bench Grinder Wire Brush

a wheel is a wheel wire or stone
offset flange weights for 3 point balance.(two pairs),use on inside and out side to also balance left and right.

I agree, Rick. What puzzles me is off-balance wire wheels are ubiquitous. Why doesn't anyone make such a thing?

I like the twisted knot wire brush wheels for the bench grinder and the angle grinder. They last longer and stay in balance better because they don't shed wires as bad. Your bolt fix is probably the best one I have seen. I'm not inclined to spend too much time trying to save a bad wheel though. They aren't that expensive. I usually get mine at Farm & Fleet or Menards. Farm & Fleet has the twisted knot style wheels. GG

Personally, I like the crimped wire wheels. I have several twisted wire wheels and they are ok but very aggressive and they don't get down into the grain of bumpy materials.

I don't see any claims by makers of very expensive wire wheels, regarding balance. And, I'm not totally convinced that "Made in America" means higher quality. GMC cars and trucks are made in the US.

I have a couple of wheels that are made in Germany. They are just as out of balance as the ones I got from Harbor Freight.

Franko,
Glad to see that little problem solved. Do you think a little warm epoxy poured into the drilled hole would be of any benefit in stopping wires coming loose?
John.

John, it might. It was a tangled mess inside that drilled hole. Trying to drill a hole through a wad of hardened steel wires is no fun and was not easy to do. Most of the wires I've seen come off wire wheels were broken pieces.

The bolt worked as a proof of concept, but I don't think it is the best solution. I haven't had a lot of time to work in the shop, but I have started making a couple eccentrically weighted mounting flanges.

It is astonishing to me that as much as I have searched this, I've seen only a very few suggested solutions. One guy used sheet metal screws. All the other comments were by people bemoaning the fact that most wire wheels are out of balance in forums such as this, with almost no useful suggestions how to fix it.

Equally astonishing, I haven't found any sources of machined mounting flange upgrades.

A whole lot of responders seemed to think if you rotate the wheel in quarter turn increments, you will be able to find a position that it won't vibrate as much. For the life of me, I don't see how that could possibly solve the problem caused by an out of balance wheel.

I found some machined recessed washers at McMaster Carr and Amazon. They are 1.5" diameter with a 1/2" hole.
I didn't find any with a 5/8" hole. On Amazon, they were 5 for about $20.
If they aren't hardened, I may be able to drill a couple to 5/8".
It is also possible I can make a bar with a hole on one end with a pin or set screw to make an eccentric counter weight to attach outboard of the washers.

510RzMUJFKL._SL1000_.jpg

counter weight washer.png

True the wheels round on grinder first. an out of round will show as unbalanced vibes.
Just drill a couple of holes in those washers and put one each side line the holes up with heavy side(spot) and start splitting them in opposite directions till balanced. mark wheel and the washers(weights) position remove from your balance fixture,remount on grinder as per marked, should be good to go.

Your on track for a smooth grinder

Rick, my grinding wheels run smooth. I've checked the wire wheels and they are round and true. They are just heavier on one side of the circumference where it has the most leverage.

Weight added or subtracted near the axle, will have to exceed the weight I added by installing a bolt, nut and two washers out near the edge which brought that wire wheel very close to balance.

Quick and dirty works. The flange washers suggested for current and future wheels. Used this split weight method when I used to balance tires. I use the flange method on stone wheels. Methods not as important as results. You have achieved,good work.

Yup, Rick. I like the twin weighted method because it is tunable and easy.

Back