Back To Work...

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
I retired in October last year.

Then I received a call recently from an old acquaintance asking if I wanted work. I don't really but it will help with the transition. I'll be working contract/consultant three days (10 hr days) a week and from home as time goes on. It's tedious work, checking what other designers have done and putting up with their whining. But it pays as much in 30 hrs as I made at my previous job in 40 hrs. Working from home makes a difference also. So less time for shop work and machining and fishing and going out for a beer from time to time (well not as often anyway) with the other 'old guys'. It'll make the wife more relaxed as we make the transition too.

So less time for this site too. I'll still drop in with a comment and hopefully a project on rare occasion.

Still so much to do in the shop, now less time but then I'll still have more time than I had when working a 'full time job'.

See ya' later.

Go for it, I did it for bout 3 years after retirement & stacked up some cash to fortify my shop. Worked well for me till the wife's health went the wrong way. So enjoy it as long as you can. God Bless

Fixit

Good for you. Often on retirement we find that are work is what really defines us. I think you'll find working from home will make things easier, and the extra money never hurts. Cheers, Mike

My dad did the same thing when he retired. Original contract called for a maximum of 500 billable hours per year. Well, that lasted about 4 months. By the time he was in his third year, he was averaging about 1400 hours a year...so much for retirement. He cut it to under 250 hours when he turned 71 years old and completely quit at 73.

Back