Back Plate Advice

Ropata

Registered
Registered
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

20161109_190023.jpg

Last edited:
I see you're getting no response yet here Ropata....I've bought and made mounting back plates for various chucks but mostly bought for D1 (3 "pin") camlock spindles.
I never made one for/that needs a key/slot system except for a Hardinge camlock system that is just a setscrew threaded to a "key nub" (lol) adjusted (pushing) into the slots on the tapered spindle nose)... and the drawbar works with (goes through) to the 5C collets in the key in the collet chuck itself....
But ifn' we're on the same page here, I would say yes: Go ahead and machine (have them?) broach or EDM, wire or?) the keyway when you or they do all the drilling and tapping. If there is supposed to be a key system for cylindrical drive "pressure" on a chuck mounted on a lathe, it's best to put it in there.
(Again, though, I might not be reading you right here and now I also see OD threads so??)

Last edited:
Cheers. I just read a whole lot on cutting key ways on the lathe so I think I'll give it a go.

Cheers. I just read a whole lot on cutting key ways on the lathe so I think I'll give it a go.
I never did that (that I can remember) but now you have me looking and watching some videos too LOL (The one just using a boring bar w/cutter as a broach for an internal keyway)... Proves one never stops learning...(now I feel dumb LOL)...I guess I got spoiled with the other methods and machines

Last edited:
Looks like an A taper.

I have in the past broached blind holes using a lathe, it is not in any way fast, however if you are a hobbyist time is of little concern so make a tool and have at it. On the bright side it is a narrow key in a large bore so the tool may be large and rigid therefore easy to make.

Lock the spindle, on a machine without a spindle brake this is easily accomplished by placing a block between a chuck jaw and ways in the back and a screw jack between the ways and another chuck jaw at the front, tighten the screw jack just enough to hold the spindle position.

Good luck

That's a "L" taper Wreck, not a "A" taper.

A taper is held on with socket head cap screws. L taper has a thread on the OD as shown in his picture. The taper is on the ID just like a A taper.

A taper is held on with socket head cap screws. L taper has a thread on the OD as shown in his picture. The taper is on the ID just like a A taper.
Yes, It's an L0 taper and the key is 9.5mm x 8.5 so quite a large one. There is a lot of slack in the head gears so I'll definitely new to lock the chuck somehow, I'll try what was suggested.

You are right my mistake, I once had a Clausing with an L taper (Long Taper), The A taper is I believe American standard spindle taper including camlock types, the L seemed a decent working scheme however a bit more difficult to change then a D spindle.

As a side note the OP would probably never spin an L taper without a key doing hobby type work, pushing it with large tapping causes that sort of thing. We have a W&S #5 turret lathe with a 20" 3 jaw chuck, you can't tighten the chuck enough to hold the part when drilling as it will push them through the spindle bore without a backup or pocketed soft jaws, VERY powerful machines W&S made, not to be taken lightly.

Most of the W & S out there have the "A" style spindles on them. It was primarily for turret lathes. Most hollow spindle lathes uses it, too. Ken

Most of the W & S out there have the "A" style spindles on them. It was primarily for turret lathes. Most hollow spindle lathes uses it, too. Ken
This beasty is 5"+ through the spindle, it also has provision for a hydraulic collet chuck, most parts of which were scrapped years ago I believe. It does have a nice hydraulic powered arrangement for pushing 12 Ft. lengths if 5" bar through the spindle, a nice touch. The machine was left in the building by the previous owner, it is a drilling monster and is just as quiet as the day it was made, for a machine of such power it is nearly silent even when loaded. It is also every bit of 25 FT. long.

Back