Availability of Unimat type machine tools.

So... what's not to like about the Proxxon? Aside from chips covering the "lead screw"?
Essentially this below.

Which model of Proxxon probably matters. There are three models, with increasing price, size and quality.

US prices, you may find better in Europe.

FD150 2.2" swing, 4" between centers $800
PD250 2.75" swing, 10" between centers $1700
PD400 3.3" swing, 15" between centers $3300

Opinion comes from a Unimat forum, not my personal experience.

The 150 was said to be "toy like" (keep in mind this came from somebody familiar with a Unimat).

The 250 and 400 were said to be of similar in quality to a Unimat. The 250 is roughly Unimat sized, the 400 is closer in size to a Sherline.

My opinion based on price, the Proxxon lathes would have to be pretty impressive to make them worthwhile, as there are some very good quality machines at the $1500 and above price point.
I have to think that there is a big mark up for the US market, because those prices seem really high for what you get.

I have only seen them in use in videos, but for the price you're much better off with a LMS or Micro-Mark machine, and that is with the MM offering seemingly high priced to begin with.

This guy does some nice work with the 250 and also a good impression of Jeremy Wade from river monsters.

He shows the underside of the compound and it is made from some cast alloy, and the change gears, while steel are driven by a toothed belt, both of which I find objectionable on a machine that costs almost $2K US.

Also of note is the amount of deflection when he takes the 3 and 4th pass. It even makes the baby cry.

Proxxon did produce the Hobbymat MD65/Prazi SD300 (Proxxon 65) machine for a while, which are very good machines, but I have no idea what they cost at the time.

Different guy reviewing the Proxon PD400, which seems to be a cheapened version of the Prazi SD400 that I own. More cast alloy parts and a cast alloy tailstock, zinc carrage and only 6 speeds with these partially (Half) coming from a 2 speed motor.

Granted the Prazi machines were painfully expensive for their time, but you got the real deal with all steel/cast iron components, and 9 speeds from 170 to 3360rpm via a 2/3hp motor.

Last edited:
Granted the Prazi machines were painfully expensive for their time, but you got the real deal with all steel/cast iron components, and 9 speeds from 170 to 3360rpm via a 2/3hp motor.

More in the Chinese 7x14" or Atlas 618 class, than Unimat, but the Emco Compact 5 and similar Prazzi / Hobbymat lathes are certainly worth mentioning, particularly for somebody located in Europe.
My Prazzi is in project status, but I can see what it would offer when it is all there.

Thanks, Guys. I feel that when the time comes I'll be able to figure out just what I want. Next, (a week and a half) comes six hours a week of Dutch language, for perhaps ten months. I may have problems getting a driver's license, (at my age). They (the powers that be) don't even like to renew licenses for folks of my age, nevermind a new license for a non-native.

Back