Availability of Unimat type machine tools.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What tools are available today for new purchase that would duplicate the Unimat tools?

Not sure if this is what you are asking. If you are looking for a similar size lathe, you can't go wrong with a Taig (I think they are still made in the USA). Every time I use my Taig, I am amazed with it's abilities.

It looks like MicroMark has taken over the name although their offering isn't the same.

Tiag, Sherline, and the one above are candidates. There are also Chinese versions available from Ali Express....

However, Unimats are really quite small and would be easy to have shipped to you. Also, since I believe they were manufactured in Austria they might be available used in the EU.

http://lathes.co.uk/unimat/

John

Unimats are hard to beat, the price reflects the popularity.
Unfortunately, you have to pay to play in this size range.
Tiag and Sherline is about it as far as viable substitutes.
I figure you could part a Unimat together if you wanted to empty your wallet in smaller doses

Proxxon is another offering some similar size lathes. Quite expensive in the US but over in Europe maybe more affordable, since they are a German company.

If your pockets are deep you could also look at a Cowells lathe from the UK.

Proxxon is another offering some similar size lathes. Quite expensive in the US but over in Europe maybe more affordable, since they are a German company.

If your pockets are deep you could also look at a Cowells lathe from the UK.
The cowells I like, the proxxon…… not so much.

Thanks, I spent 28 years as a Tool & Die Maker, wood shop sometimes leaves me hungry for more. I may have to get some mini tools that I can store in a drawer and play with when no one's looking.

I'll be buying in the European market...

So... what's not to like about the Proxxon? Aside from chips covering the "lead screw"?

Last edited:
So... what's not to like about the Proxxon? Aside from chips covering the "lead screw"?

Which model of Proxxon probably matters. There are three models, with increasing price, size and quality.

US prices, you may find better in Europe.

FD150 2.2" swing, 4" between centers $800
PD250 2.75" swing, 10" between centers $1700
PD400 3.3" swing, 15" between centers $3300

Opinion comes from a Unimat forum, not my personal experience.

The 150 was said to be "toy like" (keep in mind this came from somebody familiar with a Unimat).

The 250 and 400 were said to be of similar in quality to a Unimat. The 250 is roughly Unimat sized, the 400 is closer in size to a Sherline.

My opinion based on price, the Proxxon lathes would have to be pretty impressive to make them worthwhile, as there are some very good quality machines at the $1500 and above price point.
I have to think that there is a big mark up for the US market, because those prices seem really high for what you get.

Last edited:
Also there are some international sellers of the Taig lathe. In the UK it is sold under the Peatol brand, and as Grimberg in some European countries.

Back