Auxiliary Lead Screw Drive

Jeff May

Registered
Registered
I know this has been done before.
The one set up I have seen used a right angle gear drive motor, pulleys and a belt to drive the lead screw from the tail stock end.
It would certainly give you an infinitely number of feed rates. Of course you wouldn't be able to thread with this set up.
I have several thoughts on this,
I have a DC motor out of a tread mill. Would this work with a variable speed control unit?
Would it go slow enough and still have the torque needed to run the lead screw?
I also have thought about a wiper motor, also with a variable speed control.
Has anyone on here ever done something like this?
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed...
Thanks....

I'd bet a wiper motor would be perfect. Wire in a potentiometer and you've got variable feed to control it more . I'm sure you can make a simple slip feed nut or a belt tension control. That way no problem cutting threads. Simply disengage the drive.

Jeff----here is my Logan with what you are talking about--works great ---I explained it in the Logan lathe section I think in 2013--one lever is a variable speed with a second lever for quick reverse---I was going to use an air motor, which would also have variable speed and reverse, and very simple with plenty of power----Dave logan 200 (4).jpg logan 200 (5).jpg logan 200 (6).jpg logan 200 (7).jpg

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. But frankly, I have never understood why anyone would go to the trouble to do this.

Different strokes for different folks. But frankly, I have never understood why anyone would go to the trouble to do this.
WHY??
I've gotten along many years with the gear drive. I don't have the quick change gear box on my Atlas. I thought this would be a good way to vary the feed rates. Instead of changing the gear sets every time I want to speed up or slow down the feed.
Besides, I need another project to add to my list of projects to be done in the shop anyway...

if your lathe has the quick change gear box then you wouldn't understand ---it takes a lot of time to manually change gears often just for feed rates--this process makes it easier--- even much faster than a quick change--- it just takes a little space on the end of lathe and can be removed quickly to use gear drive again for threading-----Dave

When I was in the sewing business we used those little vari drives for running pullers that would work great. Those drives was not cheap at the time.

Back