Atlas upper compound slide modification

:madebooboo: The first pic in my last post has the parting tool upside down in the rear tool post, I put all the parts together loosely for the pic and didn't notice...:whacky:

Benard

Is that a stock slide something that Atlas offered or is that an aftermarket slide?? Thanks Ray

hello
First wanted to say really nice compound that you made. I have been thinking of making a new one someday for mine after i make a new cross slide. Here is a pic of the MLA atlas slide i found on another board.

Atlas table 010x.jpg

Atlas table 010x.jpg

hello
First wanted to say really nice compound that you made. I have been thinking of making a new one someday for mine after i make a new cross slide. Here is a pic of the MLA atlas slide i found on another board.

View attachment 75074

That is pretty much what I want to make next I have not decided on if I need the T slots or not I have never had a use for them but one never knows. The second thing I would like to do is either stamp the degrees right into the compound or cut them on a ring and counter sink it slightly below the surface. This would give the upper slide more contact point than just the stock circle and may make it more rigid so I will probably just start out with a solid piece of cast.

I might add that until I made the upper compound it was kind a vibration magnet I often found myself locking it down till it could not move to make it work. That problem is now gone with the recent mod but I am always looking to make things better. Thanks for the pictures and the comments it always helps to see what others have done.. Ray

the reason i was looking at doing a cross slide like that was being able to put a rear cut off on it. Then adding a quick change tool post mounting block mounted directly onto the cross slide like this pic i also found on another board.

rockwelllathe055.jpg4y94uh0.jpg

that is the reason i have joined some of these boards. to be able to see what others have done. i just recently joined this board because i liked what you did for the saddle modifications. i am in the process of ordering the materials for doing that and also building the t-slot slide then a new compound. once i get a new base cast for my benchmaster mill.

rockwelllathe055.jpg 4y94uh0.jpg

the reason i was looking at doing a cross slide like that was being able to put a rear cut off on it. Then adding a quick change tool post mounting block mounted directly onto the cross slide like this pic i also found on another board.

View attachment 75095

i just recently joined this board because i liked what you did for the saddle modifications.

That's the same cross slide as I have, and I had been thinking of doing exactly what's shown in that pic, but I wonder what compound and tool post it's intended for.
Using the standard compound that way means only using a small tool bit on the lowest adjustment with my QCTP, which makes it impractical for me, but it might just be OK with a lantern or some other type.

As a beginner I was very happy with my Atlas, I went to a lot of trouble to get it absolutely rigidly fixed down and adjusted right.
When I got more adventurous it soon became clear that what seemed to be a lack of skill on my part was often down to the flexibility of these parts, all very frustrating.

This thread has come along at the perfect time for me as I reckon when Ray has all the bugs worked out this will be a great project for my new shaper grin.gif and If that means not having to get a different lathe and all that involves, the shaper will pay for itself straight off!

Can't wait for the next installment :thumbzup:

Bernard

grin.gif

I just ordered some cast hope to get started soon on a different cross slide.. Ray

In the 1930's, 40's and 50's, Atlas made and sold three different cross slides in addition to the common one with the pintal or inverted cone post for the compound swivel. The slide with the two T-slots at right angles is 9-671 Tool Post Slide. It was normally sold as part of the Turret Cross Slide, or Carriage Slide, with a 4-position turret in the front T-slot and a single position tool post in the rear one. I don't have the Model Number for the 9". For 10", it was No. 670. Sears sold a version for the 12" (which I have one of) but it never had an Atlas model number and Clausing can't find any concrete information on it. I only know the Sears catalog number but not the model number. From conversations with owners of several of the slides, I have concluded that both the 10" and 12" variants used the same slide. The turret and rear tool post were of different heights (and in the case of the rear one, different shapes). After 1957, Atlas changed the design somewhat (the front T-slot became two parallel slots and the turret became more complicated) and the model number was 6637. I've never come across one of those. The complete assembly, in addition to the slide, turret and tool post, included front and rear adjustable stops. There was a variant that was lever instead of crank operated.

The other two types looked like the one in several of the photos in this thread with multiple T-slots parallel to the lathe axis. The shorter one was 7" deep. I think I recall that the longer one was 11" deep. I've never found the model numbers of those two and have only ever seen one of each offered for sale (and got outbid on the shorter one).

It is worth noting that one could easily enough fit a QCTP on a spacer in place of the front turret. However, there was never any provision for fitting the compound slide to any of them. If anyone wanted to produce such a gadget, there might be a small market for it.

Robert D.

In the 1930's, 40's and 50's, Atlas made and sold three different cross slides in addition to the common one with the pintal or inverted cone post for the compound swivel. The slide with the two T-slots at right angles is 9-671 Tool Post Slide. It was normally sold as part of the Turret Cross Slide, or Carriage Slide, with a 4-position turret in the front T-slot and a single position tool post in the rear one. I don't have the Model Number for the 9". For 10", it was No. 670. Sears sold a version for the 12" (which I have one of) but it never had an Atlas model number and Clausing can't find any concrete information on it. I only know the Sears catalog number but not the model number. From conversations with owners of several of the slides, I have concluded that both the 10" and 12" variants used the same slide. The turret and rear tool post were of different heights (and in the case of the rear one, different shapes). After 1957, Atlas changed the design somewhat (the front T-slot became two parallel slots and the turret became more complicated) and the model number was 6637. I've never come across one of those. The complete assembly, in addition to the slide, turret and tool post, included front and rear adjustable stops. There was a variant that was lever instead of crank operated.

The other two types looked like the one in several of the photos in this thread with multiple T-slots parallel to the lathe axis. The shorter one was 7" deep. I think I recall that the longer one was 11" deep. I've never found the model numbers of those two and have only ever seen one of each offered for sale (and got outbid on the shorter one).

It is worth noting that one could easily enough fit a QCTP on a spacer in place of the front turret. However, there was never any provision for fitting the compound slide to any of them. If anyone wanted to produce such a gadget, there might be a small market for it.

Robert D.

In recent photos I have seen of a craftsman commercial 12" lathe it almost appears by the photo like the upper cross slide is longer and taller it would almost have to be taller but longer? or is that just an optical illusion.. Ray

Back