Atlas toolpost ?

Waterworks

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas 12" 3000 series with the old style lantern toolpost, is there a turret or quick change toolpost that will fit off the shelf I will I need to get one adapted to fit ?

most quick change systems will work without modification to the toolpost.
what you'll need to do is cut down the nut that is usually supplied.
the nut that is given in the AXA type of toolpost is a flat bar of steel with female threads for a stud , that retains the toolpost
you'll need to mill small steps into the nut for a custom fit to your lathe

there are 4 way posts too, if you don't mind shimming your tools to get them on center

there is a turret attachment that can be purchased for an atlas lathe.
unless you plan on doing one part a thousand times, they can be cumbersome to set for one off's- dependent on how complicated the part needs to be

Grab yourself an axa wedge style tool post and some holders.
as mentioned, all you need to do is machine the “T nut” to fit your compound/cross slide and you’re good to go.
Thats what I did on my Atlas TH42. The only thing I had to modify on the compound itslef was to cut back the flat top a bit so my qctp could rotate without having to remove it.
IIRC, your lathe should already have a flat top compound, so no need to touch it at all….

It took me a minute to figure out what you have as I have always thought of the series as the 3900
series as the model numbers that Atlas used run from 3950 to 3996.

If what you buy (as most of them do) comes with a piece of flat bar with a hole drilled and tapped in the center, for a 3900 series compound all that you will need to do is to turn the bar into a Tee Nut by cutting down both long sides about a quarter inch deep and leaving the Tee centered on the hole with a width about .010" less than the slot width. The top of the compound slide is flat, unlike most of the 10" and early 12".

I forgot to mention that if you buy a kit, it will only come with one #101 holder. Buy at least two or three more or you will not be much better off that with the Lantern type of holder. I have about a dozen, most with a cutter already set up in it.

Back