Atlas tail stock lock doesn't lock

great white

Active User
Registered
The lock in my Atlas 10F tail stock has never really "locked". The locking lever will come tight, but the quill never seems to actually "lock".

It does seem like it will tighten the quill up a little bit, but the quill still moves side to side a bit and will sort of "pulse" in and out a bit as you are doing things like working a live center, drilling etc.

I've had the lock apart and it sure looks like several PO's have been in there and either re-shaped or re-ground the bevel on the locking pieces (which I believe is the problem). There's a least two seperate bevel profiles on it. So I don't even have an example to make new ones from.

Anyone have pictures, measurements of an unmolested lock or perhaps an engineering drawing so I can make a set that at least functions as per?

Last edited:
Here is the tailstock lock on my 12x36 Looks to be a simple pinch clamp. Easy to make. Needs to be a good fit in the housing and the pinch has to have the same diameter as the quill. Sorry for the fuzzy picture. My old camera does that at times

IMG_4188.JPG

Show us a picture of your tailstock lock. If the pinch has a good fit in the tailstock you might be able to fix it by wrapping a piece of wet/dry sandpaper around the quill and sanding the pinch to fit the quill. I would try that first.

Last edited:
It is a simple pinch device but the profile needs to match the quill closely. You can probably find some replacements on Ebay
or make some yourself. I believe the originals were made of zamak alloy but I'm sure brass would work too
-Mark

It is a simple pinch device but the profile needs to match the quill closely. You can probably find some replacements on Ebay
or make some yourself. I believe the originals were made of zamak alloy but I'm sure brass would work too
-Mark
The ones in my 10F are steel....or at least they spark like steel, not Zamak.

Mine has a spring between the two pinches. That keeps them from scaring the quill when not in use.

Mine has a spring between the two pinches. That keeps them from scaring the quill when not in use.
Do you have a picture of the spring? That's a great place to put a spring.

I can take one tomorrow. I will also measure it. The spring was a close fit on the bolt and about 3/4" long.

You will certainly have to counterbore seats for the spring in the pinch blocks. I think the gap is so small that any spring you use will coil bind before the clamp is tight.

Back