Atlas QC54

VTdave

Registered
Registered
Ran across this locally--not listed anywhere but for sale. $500. Haven't inspected yet, but appreciate any thoughts folks can give me with just the photos. Will take a look at it in the next day or so if it looks like the trip is worth making. Thanks. Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1674-1.jpeg
    IMG_1674-1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1672-1.jpeg
    IMG_1672-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1675-1.jpeg
    IMG_1675-1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 51
If it works properly and not too much wear looks like a great deal to me. Check ways and bearings/bushings, some wear is manageable. Run through the gears on the gearbox. Nice selection of tooling.

I agree. If you were to purchase the milling attachment, draw bar, steady rest, two or three drill chucks and dog driver plate alone, you would probably spend more than $500. One thing that you should definitely do if you buy it is to cut the drive tangs off of the drill chuck arbors. Or replace then with tang-less ones. You will pick up more than half an inch of usable tailstock ram travel by doing that.

Looked at the lathe yesterday and everything checked out. No noticable wear on the ways, gears, etc. in really good shape, best I could tell. Was owned by a local gunsmith, so at least in that ownership, likely didn't get any heavy industrial type use. Picking it up on Sunday.

Hi Dave, you won't really find a better deal for $500. You should jump at this if you are looking to get started in the hobby.

Thanks! Picked it up, and it's now in my basement workshop. Have taken much of it apart for cleaning and it's all good--no broken or missing teeth, next to no metal filings anywhere. Just a bit of old grease that needs cleaning. Are you in Vermont? If so, where?

Yessir. St. Albans. Work in Burlington at Edlund.

Congrats on getting the lathe. I have the same if not similar model. Mine is in pieces getting a good cleaning and refurb too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to talk to you sometime about what I got with this and what basic tools I should have. Are you available/willing to do a phone call some time? No hurry. Thanks. Dave

Would love to talk to you sometime about what I got with this and what basic tools I should have. Are you available/willing to do a phone call some time? No hurry. Thanks. Dave
Sure. Sent you a PM.

Back