Atlas QC42 Lathe - Buy??

When is the PM supposed to show up? I ask, because as soon as it arrives
it will probably get all the attention. The price isn't bad, but the lack of tooling
means if you plan on using it you'll dump money into it that you probably won't
get back when you sell it. I'd pass.

Mike, thank you for the feedback.

I already have the PM1236 ordered (placed the deposit back in August)... not going bigger than that simply because this is just a hobby where I do not plan on making anything bigger than what that lathe would do...

I will email the seller to see if I can stop by to take a look at it. To see if I can get more on the history of this lathe...

When is the PM supposed to show up? I ask, because as soon as it arrives
it will probably get all the attention. The price isn't bad, but the lack of tooling
means if you plan on using it you'll dump money into it that you probably won't
get back when you sell it. I'd pass.

Sometime in January??? Not sure at this point.

Most of you are telling me to walk away... I will just let this one go... I have the 9x20 to keep me busy until the new one arrives...

Thank you guys! Back to normal programming.

It's always fun to look at machine tools....

Should you buy it? Well, I've only owned one craftsman/atlas and it was much smaller. I fixed it up and spent more money than it was worth getting it going. Using it, after my Seneca Falls.... Well, disappointing.

For frame of reference I was corrected on a recent thread when I suggested a 2hp motor for one of these, people in the know said 3/4hp would be more than you'll ever use.

I'd pick it up for $500 but it would be tempting to just part it out and double my money.

John

Then the question becomes, is the 900.00 a fair price?

Assuming it doesn't have any serious issues, around here $900 would be a decent price. Assuming your prices are similar, and there are no big hidden surprises I'd think you could get back what you put into it within reason. With basic tooling (3 and 4 jaw, steady rest, couple of centers etc) and no issues $1500 shouldn't be hard to do. Of course you will also be into it for at least another $500+ to get it there so best case it is a self funding project.

That South Bend on the other hand...

If you actually want to make stuff stick with the PM. Working on old machines is fun, but having a machine that works makes working on old machines better.

First, generically it is a 10F. Atlas lathe model numbers on the machines that they made and sold under the Atlas badge from the beginning usually consisted of a number that was the U.S. version of the swing, a revision letter (when appropriate) and a number indicating the over-all bed length or in a few cases the maximum distance between centers.

When the 10F camee out circa 1939, the syntax of the model numbers changed slightly to ID whether it had a vertical or a horizontal countershaft and whether it did or didn't have Timken bearings. When the QCGB came out for the 10" circa 1947, they had just discontinued (between 1945 and 1947) the vertical countershaft, babbit bearings and the 36" and 48" 10" beds so the new model numbers that fully Identified the lathes were QC42 and QC54.

On the market, the 10" QCGB kit generally brings around $500. So $900 isn't a bad price for a QC42 with few accessories. Whether it is a good buy at that price or not depends upon bed condition and a few other minor things.

You seem to like fixing things up, I can see where it would be fun to have that old lathe. I would offer $500 bucks. If he takes the offer have done fun with it other wise have fun with your HF unit until your 1236 comes in.

You seem to like fixing things up, I can see where it would be fun to have that old lathe. I would offer $500 bucks. If he takes the offer have done fun with it other wise have fun with your HF unit until your 1236 comes in.

I was trying hard to walk away from it... but you hit the nail on the head... I like fixing, or at least working on stuff... too many pending projects, but I do not care...

I have been going over the photos and identifying what is missing, and trying to search for those parts to figure out how much more I would have to spend to bring it back to its glory. Well, using eBay, it is clear that parts are not easily available and those I have found so far, are very expensive.

This is the list of what I can identify from the photos...

Broken Cross Slide Handle
Broken Top/Tool Slide Handle
Missing Tailstock Quill Lock
Missing Tailstock Lock
Missing Tool Post
Missing Steady Rest - this one alone is over 200.00 in eBay
Missing Follower Rest
Missing Centers
Missing Face Plate
Missing Dogs
Missing Tool Holders
Missing Drill Chuck
Missing all the wrenches

And then there is the condition of the ways... clear rust on them, but can't tell if surface rust or if it runs deeper than that...

I will try to see it this week and take better photos...

Last edited:
If what you really want is a project lathe, have a look at the South Bend: you'll have a much better
machine in the end though you might not want to sell it when your done. :)

Back