Atlas Mill Arbor

Green Frog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There is an offering on flea-Bay for arbors for the Atlas Horizontal mill. The offer is for the arbor only, no nut and no spacers. Am I correct in assuming that if I get one of these I should make the spacers out of the mildest steel I can find and just take a large hex nut that is properly threaded and cut the relief inside to go onto the shank like the original? What is the OD of the spacers for the various arbors? Does the 7/8" arbor have the same OD as the 1" and the 1 1/4"? Thanks for all help!

Froggie

The spacers should really be bought. They are a hardened steel and ground to size. It will be hard for most home shops to hold the tolerances. Of course it depends on the surface finsh and accuracy your projects require.

When you broach the key way they will go oval. Commercial ones are rough machined, broached, and then heat treated. After tempering they are finshed ground is,od,and ends.

If you do make your own buy a couple of 1/2" or so shims to go right up against the cutter(1each side). Cut your key to only go under the cutter and mostly under the commercial spacers. Turn the additional spacer with no key.

Problem with this is you need different length keys for each width of cutter

Also slitting saws are very sensitive to runout.

Nuts are inexpensively available but are easy to turn. Most hardware store nuts are a loose tolerance and rolled. The faces are rarely perfectly perpendicular to the thread axis and without runout. I would turn and thread my own. Turn the tightening face and thread the bore in one chucking to keep both aligned in relation to each other.

Back