Atlas MF Milling Machine Stand & Cabinet

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This has been a COVID project for me and it is 95% finished. I had to put it aside for some other projects and is fully functional as is. I need to bolt down and level the mill to the top and eventually build some doors for the sides and front.
IMG-6427.JPG
This is a mix of various hardwoods from oversize pallets that were used for transported sheet steel. The top and legs are laminated sections. The shelves are glued up from the pallet slats. I wanted to be able to store at least what I have for tooling and clamping for the mill. There are a couple of spare chucks thrown in there for ballast for the time being.
IMG-6432.JPG
My first foray into woodworking in a serious manner. I used only handtools since I don't have dust collection and I really hate cleaning. No power tools were used in this case. I probably have 100 hrs. into this but I learned basic joinery, glue-up techniques, squaring up boards, sharpening tools and I even made my own beeswax and linseed oil finish for the top just for fun.
IMG-6430.JPG
The unit weighs about 80-90 lbs. by my estimate.

The right side will be populated with dowels for hanging the cutters used on the mill. There is a recessed panel in the back of the unit where I will eventually place a coolant tank and pump. I know that the mill is capable of holding coolant in the base, but this seems like it would be easier to fit up, monitor and maintain.

IMG-6429.JPG
This was fun. I really found that I enjoy woodworking - especially hand planing and getting wood damn square and precise. I made a bunch of mistakes and some of them are visible in the photos but I don't really care. I have a nice mill stand now for my Atlas that doesn't wobble when I turn the hand wheels.

I'm in the process of shedding my machine tools and getting my woodworking tools up and running also Bryan . I believe I would use them ( wood tools ) more because I have a complete shop in at work and don't feel like coming home to do the same . :)

Nice job on the stand, Bryan, I quite like the open yet substantial design. :encourage: And kudos for using the hand tools. Even if you eventually move to some power stuff down the line to save time, knowing the basics of how to do it by hand will always be valuable.

-frank

I really like this, very functional. So much better than most mill stands that tend to just provide a place to hide stuff rather than organize anything.

A stand for my shaper is high on my list of projects, I'm doing it out of metal but I'm probably going to borrow some of your ideas when I start that one.

Nice job on the stand, Bryan, I quite like the open yet substantial design. :encourage: And kudos for using the hand tools. Even if you eventually move to some power stuff down the line to save time, knowing the basics of how to do it by hand will always be valuable.
thanks Frank. I may put doors on it eventually. Just to keep dust out. Last year I did three things to change my lifestyle: 1) stop drinking, 2) exercising a little more each week and 3) meditation. Woodworking has helped me - in a way - to continue meeting these goals: its a great distraction from stress, using hand tools is surprisingly a genuine workout, and there is something you feel like you are transcending when working with wood - with hand tools. I'm not sure it would feel the same with power tools.

I really like this, very functional. So much better than most mill stands that tend to just provide a place to hide stuff rather than organize anything.
A stand for my shaper is high on my list of projects, I'm doing it out of metal but I'm probably going to borrow some of your ideas when I start that one.
Thanks Aaron, let me know if you want any detailed photos or explanations. Good luck and post photos of your stand!

Very nice! Funny, I came across this site looking for ideas on making a stand for my atlas horizontal mill. I like this quite a bit, I may borrow some of it if that's OK. I wasn't really thinking of using wood, but I do have a lot of pallets at work that are destined for recycling. I also need to make one for my shaper as well, maybe a combination of wood and metal. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Very nice! Funny, I came across this site looking for ideas on making a stand for my atlas horizontal mill. I like this quite a bit, I may borrow some of it if that's OK. I wasn't really thinking of using wood, but I do have a lot of pallets at work that are destined for recycling. I also need to make one for my shaper as well, maybe a combination of wood and metal. I'll let you know. Thanks.
Steal shamelessly my friend! This site is all about sharing what we have learned so let me know if you have any questions. My only advice is make sure you use hardwood. The heavy and dense grain structure is much better at absorbing vibration during machining.

I really like the idea of combining wood and metal. Please post pictures of your build as a new member when you get around to it, we love pictures here.

Brian, some exceptional work. Really well thought out.

I bounce between wood and metal often combining them in some projects.

Back