Atlas metal lathe

Is the other set of jaws otherwise exactly the same as the set currently installed? If so, then yes. But it isn't as simple a matter as just changing all three jaws to the other set. As unless there is actually an obvious difference between the two sets so that it is obvious which three and three go together, there are about 12 different combinations to try.

It seems as though there was yet a third version of legs but that could be a false memory. Your lathe also has the second version of change gear cover and also the first version of the front mounted motor switch. I think that the first motor switch was inconveniently mounted on or in the line cord dropped loose behind the lathe.
Thank you for the information, the other set is taped together and I think the switch is an add on but not positive. Again, Thanks!

First, are the three that are taped up exactly the same as the three installed? Or are they more-or-less mirror images of that set. In the latter case, then they are most likely the other set that I wrote about earlier and they most likely came with the chuck originally. In the former case, after making some other checks first, I would recommend going through the steps that I wrote about earlier in an attempt to find a better combination.

The other steps are to remove the chuck and put your dial indicator to indicate up/down movement and then front/back movement of the spindle to see whether or not you need to remove one or more of the factory shims. The proper place to put the end of the indicator is on the short unthreaded area between the vertical shoulder and the threads.

Back