Atlas metal lathe

Boomer1790

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired my grandfather's Atlas metal lathe, he bought it used on December 1937 and the only mark I can find on it is on the tail stock and the number is 1167. Does anyone have any information on this? Also, after I put stock in and turn it on, it wobbles about .010. Does anyone know I can correct this, I am new to this and just learning. Thank you for any help.

I can't help on the serial number. There is a dedicated sub-forum for Atlas machines, that might be a good place to start looking. I know some of the specific forums try to provide data like that.

For the stock, it's not uncommon for some raw stock to be a little out. To make sure that's all it is, try to find something that you can trust to be round. Endmill shanks are commonly used. A piece of ground linear shaft would be cheap and easy to find. Those are often accurate to a few tenths.

Put it in the chuck and use an indicator while spinning the chuck by hand. If it runs true, you know it was the material. If not, the chuck, backplate, spindle, or bearings could be having an issue.

If it is the stock, take a cut and it will become straight. :grin:

Welcome to H-M boomer . :)

If it's a 3-jaw chuck then it could be worn. You can still make good parts with it. Most 3-jaw chucks have a little runout even when new.
Post a picture of your machine, we have a lot of Atlas owners here (I have two)
-Mark

I can't help on the serial number. There is a dedicated sub-forum for Atlas machines, that might be a good place to start looking. I know some of the specific forums try to provide data like that.

For the stock, it's not uncommon for some raw stock to be a little out. To make sure that's all it is, try to find something that you can trust to be round. Endmill shanks are commonly used. A piece of ground linear shaft would be cheap and easy to find. Those are often accurate to a few tenths.

Put it in the chuck and use an indicator while spinning the chuck by hand. If it runs true, you know it was the material. If not, the chuck, backplate, spindle, or bearings could be having an issue.

If it is the stock, take a cut and it will become straight. :grin:

ttabbal, thank you for the reply, I have several brass rods that are about 1" and they act the same on all of them, I will check out the other forum. I do have extra clamps for the chuck, that may be my next move.

If it's a 3-jaw chuck then it could be worn. You can still make good parts with it. Most 3-jaw chucks have a little runout even when new.
Post a picture of your machine, we have a lot of Atlas owners here (I have two)
-Mark

That is an early one- I believe it has sleeve bearings in the headstock; they may be worn. If the chuck is original it's certain to be worn
Looks complete though- be very careful not to get your hair or clothing caught in the pulleys- a cover might be a good idea
The table it's on could use some help- doesn't look too sturdy or rigid

Back