Atlas lead screw dimensions

I am amazed that there is no center support for the bed! There has to be some droop over that length.
Pierre
I would imagine you are right. I haven't gotten that far yet still restoring the gear train and quick change gear box. After that comes fixing the apron screw then saddle is out of adjustment. But when I move it to its final destination I plan on bracing it firmly. That is if I don't cut it down first

I wish I could buy it from you to place in my Atlas lathe museum. Sadly, I never got the funding/approval for the museum to exist. Seems a rare bird indeed.
If you give up on posting on the Facebook group, I can put them up for you.

I wish I could buy it from you to place in my Atlas lathe museum. Sadly, I never got the funding/approval for the museum to exist. Seems a rare bird indeed.
If you give up on posting on the Facebook group, I can put them up for you.
I agree it is very rare this is the first one I've ever heard of. I wish I could afford a shorter bed for it. I hate to cut this rare bed up but I just can't keep it this long. I would have to find room for it and replace lead screw plus figure out a way of using all of that long bed so I can keep it all the same wear. I wish you could get this bed also. It seems a shame to cut it up

I wondered about no center support as well. If I were going to keep the 8' bed, I would definitely acquire and add it,

Last edited:
I wondered about no center support as well. If I were going to keep the 8' bed, I would definitely acquire and add it,
Yes. I intend on several more braces if I can keep it long. I haven't figured out everything yet about it. I'm looking around for a straight edge of some sort to tell me how bad the slump is and how bad the wear is. That will determine whether or not it stays 8 foot. I also intend on heavy duty screw adjust feet for it along with a center foot for more stability. The bed to wood board should be simple but getting a center support that can adjust for twist and slump might be tricky. Time will tell if it will be reliable steady machine

Sink a 6X6 I beam into a new table to act as a flat surface and shim from there?

Or if using an open structure like it is now

I would likely bring up from low down on the legs on both ends a couple steel bars that meet in the middle of the bed. Add an adjustable steel cables to pull the legs in and that would apply upward force to the underside of the bed via the steel coming up from the legs. Triangulation is your friend.
Pierre

Last edited:
Sink a 6X6 I beam into a new table to act as a flat surface and shim from there?

Or if using an open structure like it is now

I would likely bring up from low down on the legs on both ends a couple steel bars that meet in the middle of the bed. Add an adjustable steel cables to pull the legs in and that would apply upward force to the underside of the bed via the steel coming up from the legs. Triangulation is your friend.
Pierre
That's a good idea. Thank you

Back