Atlas lead screw dimensions

iron man

Active User
Registered
Hi I have ordered a new 8tpi acme screw to make a replacemnt lead screw for my 10 inch Atlas lathe I was just wondering if anyone had one apart or an extra screw laying around. If so if you could give me the dimensions at each end so I could machine the new one before I pull the old one out??? Just the dimensions to the shoulder and the diameter at each end should do it. Mine is the long Atlas lathe probably what would be called a 42" bed the whole lathe is about 5 foot long but that probably does not make a differance.. Thanks Ray

I have an old one. Hope these do the job for you. Mine was off a 10F24.
Pierre

Thanks a bunch the distance to the shoulder might be different since I may not have the same caliper as you. Thanks Ray

Ray,

I'm guessing you're paying a pretty penny for the long acme screw. Before I fooled around and made a mistake, I would remove the one from your lathe and measure it carefully (twice) at all points to be machined. The leadscrew can be removed from the machine in less than five minutes and reinstalled in about the same time. Position the apron near the center of the bed (to help support the screw) and remove the two nuts at the tail end of the screw. Then remove the two 1/4" bolts in the bearing at the tail end. As long as the half nuts aren't engaged, the leadscrew should just slide right out toward the tail end of the lathe.

The only other thing to note is that when you reinstall it, you need to rotate it in the apron until the keyway lines up with the pin that drives the power crossfeed gear. You'll have to do the same as it enters the drive gear box at the headstock.

Allen

Ray,

I'm guessing you're paying a pretty penny for the long acme screw. Before I fooled around and made a mistake, I would remove the one from your lathe and measure it carefully (twice) at all points to be machined. The leadscrew can be removed from the machine in less than five minutes and reinstalled in about the same time. Position the apron near the center of the bed (to help support the screw) and remove the two nuts at the tail end of the screw. Then remove the two 1/4" bolts in the bearing at the tail end. As long as the half nuts aren't engaged, the leadscrew should just slide right out toward the tail end of the lathe.

The only other thing to note is that when you reinstall it, you need to rotate it in the apron until the keyway lines up with the pin that drives the power crossfeed gear. You'll have to do the same as it enters the drive gear box at the headstock.

Allen

I did not think it was that bad McMaster Carr was rather high but a company called Roton out of MO. was about half the price for the same item.

I bought my replacement from Clausings back in the early 90s. Was not cheap back then. I think it was near $260 if not more.

Removing the leadscrew and reinstalling is not a real issue. Just a bit finicky to get the key ways lined up, also you do not need to remove it completely, just far enough to get your measurements, about 4 to 6" will do.
Pierre

The brand of caliper should have no effect on the dimension.

Pdentrem is using his caliper correctly and the distance to the shoulder is just what his caliper (and yours will too) shows.

Thanks for the info on that I just was not sure if it would make any differance or not. I always use the tail of the caliper like a depth gauge to check a shoulder..Ray

- - - Updated - - -

Cutting that long keyway should be a hoot!! I will have to make some sort of jig to hold it straight all the way. Here is the Acme threaded rod I purchased I will probably just add a solid piece to one end and machine it straight.

http://roton.com/Mating_Components.aspx?family=7059433

Last edited:
Ray,

The longest Atlas lathe has a 54" bed. Bed length is defined as the total length of the ways. Nominal, or rated, distance between centers on the Atlas 10" and Atlas or Craftsman 12" is 18" less than the bed length. So a 42" bed machine would be a 10x24. Up until about 1948, Atlas sold 10" and Sears sold 12" with bed lengths of 36", 42:, 48" and 54". The 36" and 48" beds were dropped around 1948. The 42" bed was dropped in the late 1970's (I haven't gotten around to pinning down the exact year).

Robert D.

Mine is the long Atlas lathe probably what would be called a 42" bed the whole lathe is about 5 foot long but that probably does not make a differance.. Thanks Ray

Thanks for the info if it is the total length of the ways mine is a 54" Thanks Ray

Ray.

I'm in the process of upgrading my 10D to a 10F, namely replacing the original saddle with the one that has the crossfeed. In so doing, I'll be needing to do what you're about to do. I'd be very keen on learning how you go about it, and what difficulties you ran into cutting that supremely long keyway. Incidently, the supplier you used was the one I've been looking at too. Though there is a 3/4 leadscrew on fleabay atm for less than $100 USD, while it would work for me, (I have the 42" bed), it wouldn't do you much good.

Regards,
Terry

Back