Atlas Horizontal mill

By "modify it to look like the others" do you mean square? If you do that then you also need a shoulder on the back to keep it from rotating about its bolt. With it left as it is you can turn it without having any additional operations.

I agree, Steve. It is a simple but effective fix. I was a little concerned about the upper arc extending above the table's surface, but if that's not problematic, I'd be very tempted to use it exactly as is and worry about more pressing problems. "Sufficient to the day is the evil (or problems) thereof!" As I said in a previous post somewhere, I'm becoming more interested in having my machinery work and less interested in having it restored to original.

:frog:

So back a page on post 276, we had a discussion about gits oilers with a selection from McMaster Carr offered.. I purchased the smallest one and am here to report that these won't work in the head stock. These are to small.
But not to worry, since my motor drive countershaft never had any, it will in the very near future! LOL..

Thanks so much for the info, it'll be nice to know the spindle bearing is protected from dust/dirt/debris too.
And a perfect fit will be sweet! LOL..

And my countershaft will be better off as well.

I would also add the felt plugs in the spindle bearing oilers that Atlas added in the early 60's.

I would also add the felt plugs in the spindle bearing oilers that Atlas added in the early 60's.

Now we're going over board! LOL.. (just kidding) :cool:
I wonder how long the cup was missing? And I wonder if the previous owner(s) added oil on any kind of a schedule..
No matter, we'll make it better! Thanks to everyone!!

I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I wouldn't pound on the cover. I think I either used a length of wood dowel or a pin punch and a mallet to gently tap them into place.

The straight ones need a hardwood dowel or short length of aluminum solid round, in either case with the edges of the end rounded to sorta fit. For the right angle ones you need a piece of 5/8" or 3/4" square bar (for just one or two, oak would work - that's what I used last year to replace two of them). I don't recall what diameter I used but cut a round bottom slot in the end of the bar about 1-1/2 or 2 diameters deep.

Thanks guys! Great minds think alike.. LOL.. I'm worried about deforming them and figured I could turn a dowel with a shoulder to push it into place using the shoulder just below the cover.
The main spindle has one original cup still in place and the 2 smaller ones that I picked up I'll add to the drive jackshaft. All mine has is 2 small holes so adding the oilers will be a great mod.

Back