Atlas Horizontal Mill & Atlas 6" Lathe Parts?

Yorkus

Registered
Registered
I have recently acquired two Atlas Horizontal Mills. One was sold as a parts machine and the other as a working version. It turns out that the "working" version was not in working order and that the 2 of them are different models. One is a "MF" and the other is a "MFC". So I looked to the "parts" mill and found that I had everything I needed to put that one together, it is now in a working state after making new Arbors for it in both 7/8" and 1" sizes. I am now hoping to get the other one working as well and am looking for a few parts to complete it.

The info I am hoping for here concerns the Spindle Pulleys, The MF has 3 belt slots and the MFC only 2. The older MF 3 Slot version is broken and I am hoping to find a replacement. I called Clausing and as expected the part is no longer available. I got the Drawing for it and am toying with the idea of making one but am not very experienced at machining so not sure that is wise at this time at least. So the question I have is I understand that the earliest versions had a 4 position pulley like the 6" Lathe. Since the spindle seems very similar on the mill and the 6" lathe does anyone know if the Lathe pulley will fit the Mill?

I am pretty sure this has been asked before and the answer was no. A lot of the lathe parts did end up being used in the mill.
Robert should be along and he knows so much more than I, I have an old MF as well, it has been changed to a 2 sheeve pulley some where in it's history. So I was getting excited when your story seemed to suggest that you might part out the ol MF.. but... oh well. :cool:

Would you be willing to share the file that Clausing sent you? "We" have a good collection of mill prints and manuals, Robert maintains the archive.

When you've got some time, we'd appreciate some pics of the mills.

Ii don't know if they will fit but I have a 4 groove pulley off an Atlas 3950 sitting on my desk if you had dimensions we could compare if you like.

Edit : Well after I replied I read 34_40 post so I guess it won't work.:-(

Since the spindle seems very similar on the mill and the 6" lathe does anyone know if the Lathe pulley will fit the Mill?

I can tell you the part numbers are different, M1-79 for the mill and M6-79 for the lathe. Many parts are interchangeable but typically they do have the same part number.

Ii don't know if they will fit but I have a 4 groove pulley off an Atlas 3950 sitting on my desk if you had dimensions we could compare if you like.

Edit : Well after I replied I read 34_40 post so I guess it won't work.:-(

Heck, let's do the comparisons!!! If you guys don't mind. I'd love to be able to return mine to an original state.
If your pulley does work out to be a good fit, it would get me halfway there.

Heck, let's do the comparisons!!! If you guys don't mind. I'd love to be able to return mine to an original state.
If your pulley does work out to be a good fit, it would get me halfway there.

Sure thing. Let me get some work done here and I'll start measuring after a bit!

IMG_20171215_114507129.jpg

IMG_20171215_114515884.jpg

IMG_20171215_115230370.jpg

IMG_20171215_115250695.jpg

IMG_20171215_115304553.jpg

IMG_20171215_115836397.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos of how they looked in the ad that I got them from.
You can see in the background the Atlas Shaper that the guy was selling as well.
Wish I could have got it too, just didn't have the space for it.
I will have to send photos of the rebuilt one when I get home, the "MF" is in parts spread out all over the garage.

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

At first glance we've got apples and oranges. Differing pulley counts.

Back