Atlas/Craftsman 618 Bearings Shot?

Well, we do have the verified Timken numbers for the bearings that go in the 9", 10" and 12" (all the same). I didn't learn that there wasn't a verified list of the ones for the 6" or the mills until recently when I went looking for it.

It still hasn't been confirmed that the unusual noises you are hearing are due to the bearings. But at this point, I do think it would be worthwhile to pull the spindle and inspect all of the parts including the bearings. If that doesn't reveal the noise source, then at least you know one place that it isn't.

Another test would be to loosen the threaded locking ring on the far left end of the spindle till the bearings are very loose and easy to turn, then start tightening the ring as you turn the spindle and feel for roughness. That will tell you a lot about the condition of the bearings. But I agree with Robert it's probably time to disassemble and inspect.
Mark S.

I have a 618 apart at the moment and can check the bearing numbers in the next day or two. I've also replaced the bearings in my MFC mill and probably have a record of the bearing numbers on that machine as well.

OK. We apparently have good numbers on the right or front bearings for the lathe and mill. And that the cup on the rear of the lathe is the same as the right one (07196). So what we are missing confirmation on or just missing, are the cone on the left of the lathe and cup and cone on the rear of the mill.

Another test would be to loosen the threaded locking ring on the far left end of the spindle till the bearings are very loose and easy to turn, then start tightening the ring as you turn the spindle and feel for roughness. That will tell you a lot about the condition of the bearings. But I agree with Robert it's probably time to disassemble and inspect.
Mark S.

Hi Mark, thanks for mentioning this. I loosened the nut but then decided to read my manual of how to adjust the bearings. I must have had them too loose. I tightened it up and I'm a machining fiend right now. That seemed to make the whole machine night and tight. It's a totally different machine now. I can turn steel and it has a nice smooth "shhhh" noise...not "grrrahgahaghaga". I thought you should be able to freely spin the chuck and have it spin a lot. The book specifically mentions you don't want the spindle to spin too freely.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like I'm not going to disassemble this thing.

OK. I guess that I assumed that you had either a MOLO or the 6" Technical Bulletin. Someone will eventually turn up with a loose spindle to measure.

Don't assume anything with me, I have no idea what's going on :)

Thanks a lot for your help, you guys rock!

OK good enough, glad it's working for you-keep the bearings oiled
MS

That is another of the things that we are trying to ascertain. All of the mill parts lists back to 1942 (earliest we have) say that the right/front bearings in both the 618 and the mills are M6-81B. So same bearing in both families. They also all say that the rear mill bearing is M1-82B. So different from M6-82B in the lathes.

Back