Atlas 7B Disassembly and Teardown! Pic Heavy!

Thanks for the info. So yours has oil cups or just holes?

I did notice the rounded over bits on the shaft but I didn't think it was really a problem. The final engagement points are unchanged so would it really matter that it's rounded over in the interim? I could probably dab a little hard face weld on there buy I didn't think it was very critical. Any thoughts?
My motor has oil cups

Also there are some minor cracks in the ratchet housing that are in the back of my mind. Someone makes a 3D printed ratchet housing on eBay made from a heavy duty plastic. It actually looks like a decent option. I considered trying to fab a ratchet housing like I did for the feed gear housing but the ratchet one is much more complex and might not be practical. Not impossible though.
There is a guy on the Atlas Facebook group who has a homemade ratchet cover made from aluminum. He didn't even know it wasn't factory until I told him. I would try repairing yours. I posted a thread about repairing it in these forums. If I was you, I would attempt making one. I would make it from aluminum and I really dont think it would be that hard. Did you ever get the drawing of it from Atlas? I remember you got the drawing for the housing that you made.

I dont know why I cant fix my quoted reply so here it is without the quote
There is a guy on the Atlas Facebook group who has a homemade ratchet cover made from aluminum. He didn't even know it wasn't factory until I told him. I would try repairing yours. I posted a thread about repairing it in these forums. If I was you, I would attempt making one. I would make it from aluminum and I really dont think it would be that hard. Did you ever get the drawing of it from Atlas? I remember you got the drawing for the housing that you made.

Hey. About the wipers. I do have original rubber ones but they are rock hard and not really useable. I believe the deal was that the new ones are thick enough to not need wipers. I mean they take up the whole tin cap with the felt alone. I did get wipers for the table but I'll put them on when I disassemble and clean the table assembly.

Regarding the ratchet housing, I did get a drawing of the rear portion of it but not the front part, the part with the selector lever. I probably could make one, I may revisit the idea in the future.

Weldo. thanks for this thread with detailed description and pics(not to mention time). I have 4 7B's with one being partially disassemble....but not for long. I've been running a shaper going on 39 years and still amazed what these little Atlas shapers do. thanks again

Attachments

• 383C71BD-C135-42D8-8124-2161D7B6D85C.jpeg
    383C71BD-C135-42D8-8124-2161D7B6D85C.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 210
Back