Atlas 618 - Gits Oil Cups Replaceable?

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone have any experience with replacing the Gits oil cups on the headstock? One of mine is missing the little lid and I'd like to fix it. I tried to gently pull it out with some pliers but it doesn't seem to budge. Thanks. -John

Attachments

• IMG-5664.jpg
    IMG-5664.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 9
They are just pressed in, it should not be too much trouble to remove/replace it, I made punches that closely fit the ID to drive new ones in, if you just try to use a hammer, it is all too easy to damage them. I wonder how many chips/crud is down in there?

It might come out easier if you heat the area a bit- maybe a light bulb laying against it for an hour or so
John is right tho it's just pressed in

Reactions: JRT
They are just pressed in, it should not be too much trouble to remove/replace it, I made punches that closely fit the ID to drive new ones in, if you just try to use a hammer, it is all too easy to damage them. I wonder how many chips/crud is down in there?
Who knows. I imagine it will have to stay until I pull out the bearing race someday. If I can get this one out, I will try to vacuum some of it out, if it will even come.

It might come out easier if you heat the area a bit- maybe a light bulb laying against it for an hour or so
John is right tho it's just pressed in
That’s a good idea, I’ll put a lamp on it for a bit and see what happens. Any idea where to get new ones?

Probably McMaster Carr. You might try collapsing the existing one with a chisel used axially, a few blows with a good sized hammer will do the job.

I doubt that you would need to remove the bearing race to clean out the area.

Probably McMaster Carr. You might try collapsing the existing one with a chisel used axially, a few blows with a good sized hammer will do the job.
Not quite sure what you mean… as if I’m trying to chisel off the neck that sticks out of the casting?

I doubt that you would need to remove the bearing race to clean out the area.
How else would you get into it? I don’t see an entry point besides down through the neck. Thanks.

What I mean is to place the chisel in line with the axis of the Gits oiler and with the lower end of the chisel against the top of the casting and collapse the shell of the oiler inwards, then it can be easily removed from the casting.

Back