Atlas 6" x 24" no model number

Ah well..I was CLOSE. I got the T right! Lol
And I don't know what I was thinking. T is for Timken, and H says it has a horizontal countershaft arrangement. I knew better when I typed it. But my fingers were too far ahead of my brain I guess. Lol

Last edited:
That isn't any number I would have known. Wa5cab is the resident expert. I think he can tell you much more information than I would know.
The only advice I would suggest is to search for Atlas 10" lathe Restoration videos on youtube. It helped me when I was taking mine apart. Atlas lathes are fairly simple to take apart and put back together, but there are some very common stumbling points, which are covered in the videos.

That isn't any number I would have known. Wa5cab is the resident expert. I think he can tell you much more information than I would know.
The only advice I would suggest is to search for Atlas 10" lathe Restoration videos on youtube. It helped me when I was taking mine apart. Atlas lathes are fairly simple to take apart and put back together, but there are some very common stumbling points, which are covered in the videos.
Interesting is this a 10" lathe?

If all of the photos are of the same machine, the model number and the serial number will be on the name plate on the right end of the bed. Presence of the nameplate in that location indicates that it was made in 1942 or later. Presence of a stamped serial number on the right end of the front way indicates that it was made around the time that the nameplate was changed and relocated and was one of the few (this is the first reported example) on the assembly line at the changeover date. So we can pretty safely say that it was made in 1942.

The actual serial number is only the numeric portion of what is stamped on the front way, and/or on the nameplate, "14342". The "TH" prefix means that it has Timken spindle bearings and a horizontal countershaft. The Babbitt spindle bearings and the Vertical countershaft weren't discontinued in 1945. And no one still alive seems to know or recall what the "S" stands for. Except that it was not for "Sears". All of the Sears branded lathes were either 6" or 12" and all of the Atlas branded lathes were either 6" or 10". Also, only the Atlas 9" and 10" had the forward/off/reverse lead screw gear box mounted to the front way in front of the headstock. The Craftsman 12" all had the tumbler type reversing mechanism, as did all of all versions of the 6". Note that I don't see or can't make out anything stamped on the front way in your photo

Also, the numeric part of the model number tor the 10" is the nominal LOA of the bed. So 36, 42, 48 or 54. Subtract 18 from this for the nominal maximum distance between centers. Sears always used a Sears-type model number, such as 101.07403 for one of the 12" made at the same time. I also can't quite make out the model number stamped on the nameplate but think that it is TH42.

Back