Atlas 6" Lathe Tailstock Quill Lock Handle

Skowinski

Registered
Registered
Hello All - when transporting my model 10100 I forgot to tighten the quill lock handle on the tailstock. Of course it unscrewed itself and ended up somewhere on the highway between Utah and New Mexico. :confused:

I can find complete tailstocks on Ebay, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has the handle they'd like to sell? I don't really need extra parts laying around...

I don't know anything about Atlas machines but will these work? One listing says this:

NEW STEEL USA MADE ATLAS CRAFTSMAN LATHE AND MILLING MACHINE LOCK HANDLE. REPLACES THE DIECAST HANDLES FOR THE 6 INCH LATHES AND MILLS M1-47 AND M6-42, M6-47 AND THE 9-12 INCH LATHE TAILSTOCK HANDLES CONSISTING OF 9-42A WITH HANDLE 9-104.

Screenshot_20200603-123313.jpg

Thanks darkzero, I saw those on ebay, but kinda wanted to get an original style one. They look like this:Tailstock.jpg

Ah I see. Yeah I can totally understand that. Maybe @wa5cab Robert could help.

I don't have any. But it appears that at one time, there were several different part numbers depending upon which lathe or mill the lock was fitted to. Some time between 1966 and 1973 these were all consolidated into M1-47, probably because it was the only one that would work on both the machines still in production and all of the others that by that time weren't. And I would assume that if you called Clausing today and ordered a 9-47 or a 9-47A or an M6-47 or an M6-47A or an M1-47, you would get the one-piece M1-47. And that appears to be what is on my 12" 3996. The lathe parts were two-piece although it appears that the factory only sold the clamp with the handle installed.

However, I don't see why the steel after market part being offered wouldn't work OK on any of the lathes. But it might not work or work as well on the mills as the head on the mill is wider than any of the tailstocks and it needs the handle to be at an angle to the body of the lock. in order for it to clear the guard lock M1-42B on all except the :"C" model mills which have no guard.

Back