Atlas 4 Jaw Chuck Restore (M6-844B)

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This little 4 jaw chuck came with my Atlas 618 Lathe that I just got up & running recently and I never really looked at it until I needed a 4 jaw last night. It was just in a box. everything seems good and it works well but a few of the jaws are stiff, presumably from dried up grease. I've never disassembled one of these so any advice, tips or tricks are appreciated as far as order of jaw removal, etc. Here are some pictures to show it's as-found and current condition. -John

IMG-6285.jpgIMG-6288.jpg

Not much to worry about with the 4-jaw independent. You should end up with 9 pieces: one chuck body (with back plate if applicable), one set of four jaws and one set of 4 screws shaped like little cylinders. They can only go back in one direction (socket facing to the outside) and the jaws just straddle them. I don't even think my jaws are numbered (again, not as critical like a 3-jaw) but yours seem to be so you might as well use them. Reassemble with a bit of oil on the screws after you've cleaned out the threads -- toothbrush works well.

Thanks. Like the oil I use on lead screws, etc. and not grease?

if that has a built in spindle thread, not a backplate, then all you need to do is remove the jaws and knock out the screw retaining pins out the back with a brass drift (or screwdriver if you're careful). Clean, oil, reinstall and you should be good to go.

Like the oil I use on lead screws, etc. and not grease?

Yes, that's what I usually use although I have been known to use a bit of grease -- sparingly on occasion -- as it tends to smooth things out a bit better. Oil doesn't attract chips as much though. Just stand to the side for the first time you run it up after oiling it as it tends to sling...

if that has a built in spindle thread, not a backplate, then all you need to do is remove the jaws and knock out the screw retaining pins out the back with a brass drift (or screwdriver if you're careful). Clean, oil, reinstall and you should be good to go.
It does indeed.

Yes, that's what I usually use although I have been known to use a bit of grease -- sparingly on occasion -- as it tends to smooth things out a bit better. Oil doesn't attract chips as much though. Just stand to the side for the first time you run it up after oiling it as it tends to sling...
Oil it is then. Thanks guys.

another tip. After you reassemble and remount the chuck, wrap and tape a plastic bag around it. Then switch the lathe on. Most of the spare oil will/ should collect in the bag, saving you, the wall and your ceiling a dousing

another tip. After you reassemble and remount the chuck, wrap and tape a plastic bag around it. Then switch the lathe on. Most of the spare oil will/ should collect in the bag, saving you, the wall and your ceiling a dousing
Great idea!

Wish I knew that BEFORE I did that. One of those things you only do once.:p Oiled the chuck a bit too much and turned on the spindle.

Back