Atlas 12 A thru E gears needed

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
hello.. looking for the A thru E gears for the gearbox. this is the left side gear set. also the gear for the selector larger gear in handle.
there is 3 gears same size and tooth count. the gears with red line in 2nd pic.
any hep would be great. i checked BM and if the gear they have is right. its WOW priced becuse they feel they have GOLD.
the prev owner crashed the head as you can see. the right side is good. but wow its a tool. he had no respect at all for it. just by how dirty the old girl was.
also a handle pin asambley. the setpin for the change gear lever. missing that also .

pic 2.jpg
pic 1.jpg

Have checked with Clausing? Those parts are going to be pricey no matter what
You might find someone with parts on Ebay or a partial gearbox to sell
What is BM?

I had the same problem when I rebuilt my Logan. I needed a half a dozen gears in the quick change box. When I researched the price of the gears with the price of the cutters and material, I could make them for less or at the least the same price. Now, mind you, this requires an indexer (or rotary table) and a mill, which I had. Not knowing your situation I am just throwing the idea out there. The benefit in the end is now I have the cutters should I need to make more gears. I also checked with Scott Logan and found the gears are nothing special for material with no hardening required. I told him I already had the stress proof and he said that was way over kill. Good luck on your search.

If you make some gears, I think you get another bar on your apron. It's invisible to the non-machinist and ladies, though.

A bit of case hardening seems prudent, if you go to the trouble of making a set of gears.

i havent cut anything for use on this lathe or any other lathe yet. so me cutting my own gears .. not happening right now. tho i wish i had the stuff to do it i would give it a go.

the more i look . the more i think iam goin to the electric side . put a motor on the right side of the lathe. .
i looked into maybe belt drive in place of the gears. as its goin to be for cutting not for threading . even then its in the 100 dollar plus range

ill keep eye for a used gear box. like to bring the old girl back to orig down the road. i guess with prices just not today hhhahhah

Is this an Atlas with the Timken roller bearing headstock? That one I would put money into, but not the sleeve bearing model
Vintage is ok but I draw the line at prehistoric

Last edited:
Is this an Atlas with the Timken roller bearing headstock? That one I would put money into, but not the sleeve bearing model
Vintage is ok but I draw the line at prehistoric
yes. the motor that hung off back. is under table . it has the orig table and such as pix below. this isnt pic of my lathe itself. but it is the same one.
i picked it up for free. works fine. no mess in the head. its nice and tight. ways are nice and flat. no dip near head. over all i dont think it was used much. probley home owned.
have both chucks for it 3 n 4 haw. no plate for the 4 jaw tho. grrrrrr..... no idea on where to find a cheaper one. as its 6 1/4 across .

i think its around early 70s this model. i checked the ser number but dont remember off hand now. been awhile

i still have to find a axa post. and goin to do the feed drive mod off the right side. as the 2 gears needed are like wow 100 bucks per. can not afford that much.
if anyone has a AXA post they like to off.. wedge type.. let me know.. thanks

i have the milling attc also.

atlas 12.jpg

Oh that's a nice one- I have the bench model of that
If yours has the safety clutch on the leadscrew I can't imagine how someone messed up the gearbox so badly

Oh that's a nice one- I have the bench model of that
If yours has the safety clutch on the leadscrew I can't imagine how someone messed up the gearbox so badly
ty. yeah iam pretty happy with it for my 1st lathe. it wont see tons of use. i work on ryding mowers. like all but more so the REAL CUBS hahahh
IHCC . late 60s early 70s. front spindles could always use a bushing or 2 lol . things like that. the rest of the dang things are built like tanks haha
plus iam a tim taylor type of guy.. TOOLSSSSSSSSSSSSS RULEEEEEEEEEE hahhahahahha ... i love tools ... ill buy a tool even if i have no use for it.. hahhaha if i like it ..

nothing i see in the way of a clutch on the lead near the gearbox case. the kid who had it seem a lil how i say. faster then lighting . who knows. also just learning he is. was a bunch of round alum blanks around 5 to 6 inch by 2 inch. some cut up some threaded so on . like he was learning.

the more i think the more iam looking at the motor on the rite side of the lead mod.

Back