Atlas 10" Pic O Matic alignment question.

That or build a very heavy stand solid enough to withstand the torque needed to give the twist. I really don't want to drill holes in the garage floor.

Yes that should work fine as well.:))

This lathe is mounted on the long cast iron legs that I think were standard at the time. It allows some wobble when cranking the carriage by hand so it's possible they are part of the problem. I don't have a machinist's level but should be able to get close with a good standard level if I can get one that's well calibrated. I've had the back legs shimmed up enough that one of the two don't contact the floor but it didn't seem to make any difference.
It will be a couple of days before I can get back to it now but I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find.

My lathe legs are mounted on 2.75" cross beams which are then mounted to a solid piece of 2-3/7" thick top upon which the lathe is then mounted.

In your case it could be a matter of mounting directly to the floor and then leveling using a machinist level. You can't use a carpenters level, your looking for a couple thousands over a foot not 1/32 not 100ths.

I took a quick vid to show you what I have for a setup and the underside of a headstock.

[video=youtube;fo34rOss--4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo34rOss--4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That or build a very heavy stand solid enough to withstand the torque needed to give the twist. I really don't want to drill holes in the garage floor.

Hi Gadget, there is no way to align the head stock, and maybe there is no need unless the ways get damaged under there. In my opinion a machinists level is not needed if you approach the job methodically.

You need a heavy rigid base (you have the legs) to get the best out of those Atlas lathes, here is how I did mine, the concrete might be perceived as a bit OTT for some, but after aligning the bed using the two collar method I can now consistently cut to within 1/2 thou over 8", I haven't had the need yet to try any thing longer than that.

Bolting to the floor isn't necessary with a heavy base but these legs are not the widest and stability can be a worry, so keep as much heavy stuff as you can find on the shelf between the legs, and maybe a brace against a wall would be prudent.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=9441

Bernard

Back