Atlas 10" Looking For Chip Tray Ideas

The tray itself can be about anything. My Grandfather used half of an old reel to reel movie canister most of his life. The important part is the back splash unless you like washing walls!

DSCF7283_zpsxjjbxtss.jpg

When I refurbed my grandfather's Atlas I bent up a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal I had laying around, it's too short (height wise) to catch many flyers but it would work for small stuff.

DSCF7285_zpshrybqbij.jpg

DSCF7283_zpsxjjbxtss.jpg

DSCF7285_zpshrybqbij.jpg

I am cheap. I used a standard home kitchen baking sheet. Not a perfect fit, a little short but at 14 inches wide it just fits the 14" wide maple bench top on the standard Atlas cast iron legs. Being that it fits under the lathe ways and the lathe is not mounted on it its an easy matter to clean by simply sliding it out and dumping the chips in the trash can. I can then wipe it down with a rag and slide it back under the ways, all in less than a minute. :) I'd like to have a fancier tray, but then I'd like to have fancier lots-o-other-things. ;-) The problem is I have so many lots-o-other-things I haven't time to dandy 'em all up.

Spiral_Chips

I had thought about a backsplash. And I believe I will be making one. Mainly for the reason you'll see in the photo. But also to catch chips. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443657428.713920.jpg

Regards-Carlo

Spiral chips, I noticed in your pic that you have a quick change setup for your reversing tumbler, did you do that? I plan on doing that to mine along with a chip tray

I did convert it to a qcgb but I bought that assembly off eBay. So what you see is what came in the kit.

Regards-Carlo

From the Tumbler assembly, the QCGB appears to be a 1500.

I have a larger chip pan under the main board the lathe is mounted on. Then I place a cookie sheet ontop of that under the bed to catch most of the chips.

This pic shows the basic setup.
C7PC6FJzcj9GsmLUbR4-J0N707hQvwIoJ6Tsr9Ix0bWRTa9xNFyeznag2IOA7SCL5pIjEkeNvBnjO_YD_Y=w1258-h708-no.jpg

The lower pan bends up and catches anything flying off to the back.
D6Z5iZ7Am-Ly8Uqbx45TzWDv0CrEqRZHdLyR_vQnTqq_M1kwiW9yVpaAIsrCLKLVQWjwXKwqowAmpPDS30=w1258-h708-no.jpg

Not pretty but it works ok.

Here's the cookie sheet.

oHue-CdayPxNcvj5-IhUHJ_L3QX9ZNb2A7xaMAyBWt59QpOl92BW9wBxmc2vSMzwYcA_wP2frUdc0V9GMA=w1258-h708-no.jpg

C7PC6FJzcj9GsmLUbR4-J0N707hQvwIoJ6Tsr9Ix0bWRTa9xNFyeznag2IOA7SCL5pIjEkeNvBnjO_YD_Y=w1258-h708-no.jpg

D6Z5iZ7Am-Ly8Uqbx45TzWDv0CrEqRZHdLyR_vQnTqq_M1kwiW9yVpaAIsrCLKLVQWjwXKwqowAmpPDS30=w1258-h708-no.jpg

oHue-CdayPxNcvj5-IhUHJ_L3QX9ZNb2A7xaMAyBWt59QpOl92BW9wBxmc2vSMzwYcA_wP2frUdc0V9GMA=w1258-h708-no.jpg

Well unfortunately I sold my lathe. Being responsible is no fun. Have to buy a house and then I can buy back all
My toys.

Regards-Carlo

Back