Atlas 10" Looking For Chip Tray Ideas

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
I've been wanting to break a chip tray for my atlas 10" pretty much since I got it. Now I'm tired of cleaning the oil off the wood block its mounted to and would like a better way to "contain" most of the chips. I had thought of building a full length tray that goes under the bed feet but I'm not sure if it's exactly necessary. I know I'll definitely be going under the headstock foot as the bearings leak oil as fast as I can put it in. So I. That right it's either shim the tailstock side or make the chip tray go all the way. I'm just looking for ideas on dimensions. On the backside I wanted to extend it 6" past the feet as I try to get my tooling to throw the chips away from me if possible. I also though about going 4-5" past the feet on the operator side so I'd have a place to lay some tooling as I don't have shelving around the lathe at the moment. More or less if you could post pictures that would help. I'm unsure what gauge metal to use or how high I should make the lips. I thought about 3/4-1" as I'd like to set this up for flood coolant at some point. As cutting oil does get expensive and I sure do use it!
Also it is a 54" bed model and I believe I can get sheet metal in sheets of 4'x8' if I remember correctly.

Regards-Carlo

I used an old cookie sheet with mine. It fit just perfectly on the top board of the cast iron leg set and it was easy to dump when it got too full.

The factory tray on my 3996 is 1-3/16" deep. The walls are at about 45 deg. all around, and it runs from left of the left end of the headstock to right of the right leg. Material appears to be 16 gauge steel. The top edge of the lip is turned down 1/2" by 135 deg. all around. On a 10" with horizontal countershaft you will have to extend the back edge at the left to mount the countersheft bracket and to extend out under the motor.

Also, you should add the felt plugs to the spindle oil cups. Doesn't keep the oil from dripping through onto the pan but keeps the bearings properly oiled for a day or two.

Hi Carlos, I made a tray for my Atlas a few years ago, not sure if you've seen it but my build thread may give you some ideas: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lathe-support-frame-and-tray-project.9441/

In retrospect the tray could have been a tad wider at the rear as some chips escape, and maybe I should have just bent a higher lip at the rear maybe 6" at 54 deg. would have been better, I keep meaning to make a simple clip on extension.

I never use coolant and the tray catches all the oil from the gearbox and change gears, and I just wipe it out now and then.

You can see I made a wooden tool tray to fit on the tail stock end which is very handy you have the bed length , if you like I can take a detail pic of it.

Looking forward to see what you do with yours...

Bernard

Last edited:
I use a large cookie sheet like a restaurant would use. But AutoZone or any parts house have a pan to lay under a car to catch drips that would be great under a lathe and they are cheap.

I wouldn't recommend a lip over about 1-1/2". Regardless of how high it is, some chips will always get outside it. And anything higher will just be that much more difficult to clean out. If you plan to use coolant (either spray or flood), include a threaded drain hole at one of the back corners. I forgot to mention earlier that the factory trays had a 3/8" NPT tapped hole (with plug, originally) for this.

I wouldn't recommend a lip over about 1-1/2". Regardless of how high it is, some chips will always get outside it. And anything higher will just be that much more difficult to clean out. If you plan to use coolant (either spray or flood), include a threaded drain hole at one of the back corners. I forgot to mention earlier that the factory trays had a 3/8" NPT tapped hole (with plug, originally) for this.
If you have the time to snap a picture and put it up is like to see it. I'm trying to imagine how it would go but that part of my brain hasn't started working yet today. I already have a pump and hard lines for the flood coolant setup I just have to make a mount and buy flex hose for the upper portion of it. I was thinking about the motor bracket and I think I may just make a deflector so any residue from the belts slides down into the chip tray verse trying to make the tray cover that entire area. I have an incorrectly fitting motor on my lathe so I don't have anymore clearance for anything under the motor mount. Unless I misunderstood your previous post In which case disregard that statement.
If anyone has any pictures at all don't be shy post them up. I'd like to brainstorm on how I'm going to do this.

Regards-Carlo

Hi Carlos, I made a tray for my Atlas a few years ago, not sure if you've seen it but my build thread may give you some ideas: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lathe-support-frame-and-tray-project.9441/

In retrospect the tray could have been a tad wider at the rear as some chips escape, and maybe I should have just bent a higher lip at the rear maybe 6" at 54 deg. would have been better, I keep meaning to make a simple clip on extension.

I never use coolant and the tray catches all the oil from the gearbox and change gears, and I just wipe it out now and then.

You can see I made a wooden tool tray to fit on the tail stock end which is very handy you have the bed length , if you like I can take a detail pic of it.

Looking forward to see what you do with yours...

Bernard
I checked out your thread. Very nice build!! The chip tray I'd like to build would probably be wider. Just because I'm putting the machine in a shed when I buy a house. And I'd prefer not to oil soak the floor as best as I can. But I think I'll steal your ideas for the edges. That's exactly what I had pictures when I came up with my initial "blueprint".

Regards-Carlo

Carlo.

Actually I incorrectly remembered how the factory trays were made. They are cut back under the motor mount or to clear the countershaft bracket (probably the latter). In Downloads under Atlas Lathe Manuals (I think), you will find the sheet showing where to drill the holes for the countershaft bracket. Below should be a scan of Page 22 from the Atlas 1945 catalog showing the factory pans.

Atlas Catalog 1945 P22.jpg

Back