Assorted rod package, where to buy

Yea arlo sells drops local and on ebay. There are endless amounts of random stock and drop boxes on ebay. You just gotta figure out the right key words. But it would likely be cheaper to just find what you want on ebay or where ever and buy it at one time. If you want 4140 just search for 3140 steel, 4140 drops, 4140 round. Same for any other type. Or just search random with steel drop, steel stock, steel round, steel stock, steel plate. Some sweet deals out there

Buying specific sizes isnt a problem, I have a local metal dealer that will sell me metal in any size and length I want. What I am looking for is a package deal of assorted sizes so I have some stock on hand.

If you have a retailer near I would not worry about buying a stock right off the bat. As you approach each project, buy the material you need and maybe a little to put into stores. Each time I am I the metal dealer I will also pick up a couple of pieces from his cutoff pile that he just sells by the pound.

Here in Canada I discovered a place called "scrapyard" - its amazing! For one it sells steel at wholesale prices in pre cut lengths, much cheaper then in stores.

2nd you can always pick up "scrap" at 30c per LB - sometimes pp throw out 10ft sections of steel rods just because ends are bent - otherwise 100% perfect stuff.
There is also cut offs from large rods - like 3- 10 inch in diameter.

All of my steel now comes from the scrap yard 100%. For both the lathe and the mill.

Some scrap yards also sell other metals - but here they need extra license to do so.

I would LOVE to buy metal from scrap yards, but none of them around here are licensed to sell. They will only buy. Makes me crazy, because I see all the good stuff they have, and I can't buy any! :banghead:

GG

For the cold rolled try your local hardware or farm stores. They often have a rack of steel rods in 3 and 4 foot lengths. Other places that are local are places like Fastenal, they actual can have stainless and brass delivered to their stores so you don't pay shipping or at worst a small shipping fee.

Hi there Greedy, I have been off the site for a while for a family sickness and just spotted your intro post and thought I would introduce myself.
I live out highway 26 out of Blackfoot about 13 miles and have a small rat machine shop I do some work out of (retired machinist 74 yrs old), and you are the nearest member I have seen on the site. Maybe we could meet up at one of the local coffee shops and share places in the area for gathering materials.
Pm me if interested OK.

Try
Speedy Metals, you can order custom lengths.
Metals Depot
OnLineMetals
and Parker Steel for metric sizes.
Grainger and MSC are ok but pricey.

Good Luck

As the title says. I am brand new to metal working and just moved to my place 6 months ago. Back on the farm we had metal everywhere but I didn't bring any with me not knowing I was going to need it. Can anyone recommend where to buy a package deal on assorted rod in a variety of sizes? I found aluminum and brass rod on ebay in 12 inch length, but no cold rolled or steel of any kind. 3 foot sections would be ideal.

I find that for now, I use mainly short 6" or less sections. I plan on mostly making custom pens and eventually model ic engines just for fun.

You can get 3 foot and some 6 foot pieces of cold roll round up to 3/4" at Lowe's and also Tractor supply if there is one near you.

Mark Frazier

Fastenal has a bunch of round and hex stock on clearance - look under "raw material"

Back