Assorted rod package, where to buy

greedyrogue

Registered
Registered
As the title says. I am brand new to metal working and just moved to my place 6 months ago. Back on the farm we had metal everywhere but I didn't bring any with me not knowing I was going to need it. Can anyone recommend where to buy a package deal on assorted rod in a variety of sizes? I found aluminum and brass rod on ebay in 12 inch length, but no cold rolled or steel of any kind. 3 foot sections would be ideal.

I find that for now, I use mainly short 6" or less sections. I plan on mostly making custom pens and eventually model ic engines just for fun.

I would try Metal Supermarkets, they have a branch in Salt Lake so shipping shouldn't be too terrible. http://metalsupermarkets.com/salt-lake-city/ They will sell as little is 1 inch off of a bar. They will have pretty much anything you want. Not the cheapest place to buy, but the customer service is good.

Another option is to get friendly with a local machine or welding shop, they might sell or even give short pieces to you.

Here in Canada I discovered a place called "scrapyard" - its amazing! For one it sells steel at wholesale prices in pre cut lengths, much cheaper then in stores.

2nd you can always pick up "scrap" at 30c per LB - sometimes pp throw out 10ft sections of steel rods just because ends are bent - otherwise 100% perfect stuff.
There is also cut offs from large rods - like 3- 10 inch in diameter.

All of my steel now comes from the scrap yard 100%. For both the lathe and the mill.

Some scrap yards also sell other metals - but here they need extra license to do so.

Buying specific sizes isnt a problem, I have a local metal dealer that will sell me metal in any size and length I want. What I am looking for is a package deal of assorted sizes so I have some stock on hand.

Buying specific sizes isnt a problem, I have a local metal dealer that will sell me metal in any size and length I want. What I am looking for is a package deal of assorted sizes so I have some stock on hand.

OK, sorry I misunderstood. I have never seen a package like that. Just scrounging around is the way I have always done it. If I need 6 inches of stock for a project, then I buy a couple of feet or more just to have the stock on the shelf. Maybe your local metal dealer has drops they would sell.

Perhaps make up a list, take it to your dealer, and ask him to quote a price (with substitutions as needed)?

Metal Supermarket in SLC thinks they are selling gold. I can't get a fair price on anything there. Far cheaper to order from online metals and pay shipping. Online metals offers a 25% discount on orders over $100 fairly often and their everyday price is better than local.
Dave

Check with them most matel dealers. Will have what thay call a drop ben. and Sell the drops by the pound. Much cheaper that way.

Back