Arrrrrgg!

Sounds good Matt. Put me on the list for one please. :)

And jbolt, they werent changes on the 1440, just corrections, other than the weight because I changed the base. The 1440 does not have a cast iron base, but it is now made from much much thicker steel than the 1340GT base, it will be plenty heavy enough for that lathe.

It's all good Matt. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Did this cast iron base ever happen? I don't see it as an option on the PM site.

Did this cast iron base ever happen? I don't see it as an option on the PM site.
No. IIRC, the last conversation I had with Matt on the subject, he was trying to find someone capable of machining the tops and bottoms of the castings but I don't think he ever did. He sent me a 'scratch and dent' set of the new, heavier steel stands though.

No. IIRC, the last conversation I had with Matt on the subject, he was trying to find someone capable of machining the tops and bottoms of the castings but I don't think he ever did. He sent me a 'scratch and dent' set of the new, heavier steel stands though.
Thanks for the quick follow-up. How is the heavier stand treating you? I think that isnthe same that is available now?

Thanks for the quick follow-up. How is the heavier stand treating you? I think that isnthe same that is available now?
As far as I know, the stand sent to me is the same as the one offered now. For me, the four leveling feet on the headstock end made the lathe more stable/solid at higher rpms. That Pratt Burnerd 8" set-rite was a beast of a lathe chuck. :)

I no longer have the lathe, but the new owner is very happy with it.

Last edited:
Back