Are you hesitate to post on machinist forums for fear of being ridiculed or make to look stupid?

Are you hesitant to post on machinist forums for fear of being ridiculed or make to look stupid?

• Yes

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Some Forums

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me explain why I asked...

We have about 1400 people who never made a single post. Zero posts.
We've sent emails asking them to, at minimum, introduce themselves.
In response, we have received either no response, or requests I cannot post.
The question is why?

I wanted to know if, perhaps, people feel intimidated about posting here.

Oz

It will ALWAYS be that way, and there is NOTHING you can do about it. It happens on EVERY forum. As a forum owner myself I/we learned this the hard way early on. Spend your time worrying about things you CAN change because this is one you cannot.

I dont post on other machinist sites, also i dont post on clock sites ETC .

WHY BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEST BUNCH OF LADS ON THE NET.

THANK YOU
Brian
Apologies if we have any lady members..

You might want to change that first one about stupid people asking. Because someone has the question does not make them stupid, just lacking in knowledge on the subject. Then it's our turn to give them the correct info if we have it.

"Billy G" :biggrin:

UGH.... I hope this did not come out as anything but a JOKE comment (RE #1) - read the context of my reply - all pointing out that people should post anything so that knowledge can be shared across all levels ...

agree with you about lack of knowledge and giving if from those who have it - which is what I was tyring to point out.

If i cant say the word stupid then I have to delete the about me section in my profile???
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
i know off topic i'm sorry
steve

When I question professionals of 50+ years as machinists, they will tell you they made every mistake in the book and learned by it. Those most tolerant profited from past experience.

The high degree of civility displayed by ALL members of this site is exempliary. I do not fear that there would be ridicule at the hands of the membership; however, I have nothing worth posting at this time. It is my highest hope that I will eventually contribute project notes and useful knowledge to these forums. I find that I can make things with a fair degree of accuracy and finish; but, none of my projects amount to anything. I have nice machines, yet I am short of time and ideas.

I hope I don't get wiped out for lack of participation.

Mark

You might want to change that first one about stupid people asking. Because someone has the question does not make them stupid, just lacking in knowledge on the subject. Then it's our turn to give them the correct info if we have it.

"Billy G" :biggrin:

I learned once from an old foreman of mine that there is a distinct difference between "stupid" and "ignorant".

We're all "ignorant" with the definition we "don't know it all"

Stupid is when you know better and do it "again" anyway ;)

No Im not although myself im more show than tell. PM was one of the first I registerd for and never
ever do anything but read posts. Even tried to re-register it says I am. The only reason to get in
there is to get together with a member that has a Greaves lathe like mine and we seem to be the
only ones on the planet that has one. My user name and password appears but on the bottom "you
are not allowed to post or do anything. So Im not a computor geek I mean like my S.B lathe Yahoo
group I just dont like their format ex. someone ask a question it gets re'd to death with new posts
inbetween I just cant seem to follow somebodys post. Thats why I like this place. It makes no
difference to me if somebodys green. Not everyone has the luxury of some kind on night school
course nothing around here, so there are no stupid questions here. However there is a close off
point as to going into a heart surgions foram and ask how to do surgery on a cat. thats no.
sorry for rambling its raining again. . . .

The high degree of civility displayed by ALL members of this site is exempliary. I do not fear that there would be ridicule at the hands of the membership; however, I have nothing worth posting at this time. It is my highest hope that I will eventually contribute project notes and useful knowledge to these forums. I find that I can make things with a fair degree of accuracy and finish; but, none of my projects amount to anything. I have nice machines, yet I am short of time and ideas.

I hope I don't get wiped out for lack of participation.

Mark

Mark, that is exactly the way I view this forum. Great bunch of guys and all come across, to me, as civil. However, I make things that I need to accomplish what I'm doing at the time and I don't take notes nor pictures, so I don't post often.

Pat

Back