Are you happy with your Grizzly 12x36 lathe?

Our comments don't really mean a whole lot without context. That is, you're asking for opinions without any background. For many of us, the Grizzly lathe may be the only lathe we've ever owned, so saying that we like or dislike something doesn't mean much since we have nothing to compare it to. OTOH, if the owner has had half a dozen lathes of different makes, then yes, their opinion matters a lot more.

OK, good point. The only other lathes I've owned are a couple of Grizzly 9x21s. But I have occasionally used some larger lathes, including a Hardinge or two. In no way does the Grizzly 12x24 compare to that. But, as I posted earlier, it's a pretty good lathe, nice and solid. By the way, I'm not sure what recent Grizzlys use, but my cross slide, compound, and tailstock leadscrews are all "true inch" ... useful feature.

I know this is an irrelevant and probably annoying comment, but I had a Grizzly jointer that was such a piece of junk it soured me on anything Grizzly. I gave it away to some guy I didn't like very much.

I know this is an irrelevant and probably annoying comment, but I had a Grizzly jointer that was such a piece of junk it soured me on anything Grizzly. I gave it away to some guy I didn't like very much.

I probably make too many comments like this myself but can't help myself sometimes. I have a long memory, which makes it worse. All comments matter.

So far, I've had durn good luck with Grizzly tools ... but then, my two biggies (RF-30 clone mill and 12x24 lathe) are "old" Taiwanese iron that I bought thru Craigslist. So I had a chance to give them a good once-over before I took them home. Buying recent Chinese machine tools (which is pretty much all that Grizzly has any more) can indeed be a crap shoot ... though I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Precision Matthews.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd pitch in that I have an Enco 110-2033 (same 12x36 machine as the Grizzly G4003). There are a couple of differences (notably that mine has an MT2 tailstock and the Grizzly has an MT3), but 98% the same.

The lathe has really performed well for me and I can do work easily within 3 thou without effort and within a couple tenths if I am careful. It has enough power to actually use positive rake carbide tooling well.

My only complaint is that the carriage handwheel on mine was graduated in 0.7"/rev increments but only moved 0.678" so it would accumulate error in the carriage travel. This was solved with a low cost DRO.

I have had a 12 x 24 G4002 for about 4 years. It is not the best lathe I ever ran, but I like it for my home shop. I run negative and positive carbide all day with it. Never even had it slow down. It will pull a .125/side cut in steel, but mostly I limit myself to .080/side. I usually work to about .0005 on diameter, and that isn't hard. It repeats well, and I use an indicator when steps matter.

I have cut both metric and US threads this year, and that has worked well. Not as easy as some other big name machines, but acceptable for home.

For reference, I was a tool and die maker for 25 years, and have run at least a dozen different lathes. Things from hand turret lathes, Hardinge toolmaker lathe, and engine lathes up to 20 x 80 Ikegai.

I have had a 12 x 24 G4002 for about 4 years. It is not the best lathe I ever ran, but I like it for my home shop. I run negative and positive carbide all day with it. Never even had it slow down. It will pull a .125/side cut in steel, but mostly I limit myself to .080/side. I usually work to about .0005 on diameter, and that isn't hard. It repeats well, and I use an indicator when steps matter.

I have cut both metric and US threads this year, and that has worked well. Not as easy as some other big name machines, but acceptable for home.

For reference, I was a tool and die maker for 25 years, and have run at least a dozen different lathes. Things from hand turret lathes, Hardinge toolmaker lathe, and engine lathes up to 20 x 80 Ikegai.

I see your location, job description and the lathes you have run. The first manual lathe I ever touched was at Jade Precision/Tool and Die in Huntingdon Valley, PA. I'm guessing you have at least driven by that place.

I am a 4th generation tool and die maker.. I still consider that my trade, even though I don't make me living that way any more. Unless applying for loan or insurance, then I list Engineer; they like that a lot better.

Yes, i know Jade well. My father worked there in early/mid 70s. One of the places I worked at was Schwab & Rieber in Hatboro. Jade bought them after I left there, and moved most of the guys to HV. Thought I would never hear from them again.

Actually was Mr Rieber who did me a favor and encouraged me to leave the trade, even though he probably didn't see it going that way.. One day, after three years without a raise, he called me in and told me I was one of the lucky ones, as I was getting 10 cents an hour raise. This was late 80s, so that $4 a week did nothing. ****** me off so much I decided that very day to leave the the trade.

I went back to night college and finished my degree 10 years later. Got a job at the big Philly international helicopter plant designing tools with my new degree and background. Funny thing turned out that Jade is one of our suppliers, and through the front office guys I talked to i could still find out who from S&R was still there. Was actually there 2x while working at current job to settle some issues with a job I had designed. I am sure the former S&R employees building the parts loved seeing my name in the title block of the drawing!

I am a 4th generation tool and die maker.. I still consider that my trade, even though I don't make me living that way any more. Unless applying for loan or insurance, then I list Engineer; they like that a lot better.

Yes, i know Jade well. My father worked there in early/mid 70s. One of the places I worked at was Schwab & Rieber in Hatboro. Jade bought them after I left there, and moved most of the guys to HV. Thought I would never hear from them again.

Actually was Mr Rieber who did me a favor and encouraged me to leave the trade, even though he probably didn't see it going that way.. One day, after three years without a raise, he called me in and told me I was one of the lucky ones, as I was getting 10 cents an hour raise. This was late 80s, so that $4 a week did nothing. ****** me off so much I decided that very day to leave the the trade.

I went back to night college and finished my degree 10 years later. Got a job at the big Philly international helicopter plant designing tools with my new degree and background. Funny thing turned out that Jade is one of our suppliers, and through the front office guys I talked to i could still find out who from S&R was still there. Was actually there 2x while working at current job to settle some issues with a job I had designed. I am sure the former S&R employees building the parts loved seeing my name in the title block of the drawing!

I have definitely heard of S&R, and if those guys were still in HV between 2000-2005, I definitely knew them. Heck, even some who retired before my time were still active in the golfing circle.

I can't be sure, but if I were to guess ... Glen L., George W., possibly Werner may have been transplants from S&R? Been a while as I left there about 15 years ago. Lots of talent in that place, both in the main building and the Southampton location.

Very cool, such a small world!

Jim Rainey is who I learned the most from. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Back