Are you a mill type machinist or a lathe type machinist.

Are you a mill machinist or a lathe machinist.

• Total voters
I only recently got a mill and I'm just learning, but I like the lathe better. It seems to be more pleasing to work with.

I used a lathe and a mill in high school. Since then I wanted both. I always called myself a frustrated machinist because I used my woodworking tools and machines to make what I needed. Now I am at a point in my life that I can afford to buy what I want. I spent all weekend on the lathe and the mill, loved every minute.
Larry

I enjoy running both, but I would say the mill is my favorite.

Not a machinist (not even close), but use these machines to do my pistolsmithing and other projects. Next major project will be a quorn t/c grinder. I'll post pics if I remember to take 'em.

I use my mill 3:1 vs the lathe.

Bill

It really depends on what type of work you are doing.
A lathe and a mill can do both turning and milling, but depending on work size or complexity, a lathe is better used for turning while the mill is better used for milling.
Each has its limitation where the other is stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
This question isn't really a proper question. Perhaps it would be better worded"what type machine do you prefer to operate."

If you can't operate all the machines in the shop,you are not a machinist,but are a "machine operator".

All of the machines are necessary,and if you build anything of consequence,it will be necessary to use more than 1 machine on the project (unless you have a milling attachment for your lathe,and the project is small and fairly simple). I started out with just a lathe and a milling attachment,but my projects were limited in scope. ASAP,I acquired a mill to go with it.

Not a machinist (not even close), but use these machines to do my pistolsmithing and other projects. Next major project will be a quorn t/c grinder. I'll post pics if I remember to take 'em.

I use my mill 3:1 vs the lathe.

Bill

Do remember to take pictures!

I have the plans for the Quorn and that is a very serious and ambitious project. Take it slow and visualize the process and you should do fine and have a great tool you can be extremely proud of.

Well, I'll give my 2 cents. The lathe was the first machine tool. The first mill was a blacksmith shop. Every thing flat was done there. Hard work. Then some genius figured out that if he tipped up a lathe vertical and put a table on it, he had a mill. Mounted a cutting tool in the primative chuck instead of the work piece. wow. Took off from there. Short story. An old master toolmaker once told me that if you had to work hard at machining, you ain't doing it right. Good toolmakers work smart, not hard. Make the machine tool do the work. Setup is everything. Use your powerfeeds x and y. Setup accordingly. Lathe is the easiest to run. particularly big ones. With a good knowledge of chi p control and tool geometry your home free. Lite up a camel, get a cup of coffee, and ponder deep thots and watch that monster work its self to death. Be sure to tell your foreman how hard it was to make that part. Wonder why lathe hands have pot bellies lol. I hate a drill press. man thats work. Always used my z axis power feed on my bridgeport to drill holes with. I'm just plain lazy. lol

Just don't use the Bridgeport quill power feed for holes in steel over 3/8" in diameter. Take this seriously!! That is in the manual. Bridgey's are not heavy duty machines,and the head can break parts. Or,are you referring to a power feed that raises the knee? I have a feed for my knee,but have to do some mods to make it work on my clone.

Back