Are these calipers fake?

I just hope that the higher "off state" current consumption typical of these counterfeits doesn't end up biting me on the behind.

I have a Mity Digital test indicator, don't actually use it that much as I prefer the visual sweeping arm over the numbers for a lot of things but the battery life , oh my god. I left it on and hadn't used it for about 4 months , batteries still fine , hardly ever change them , think it's done two sets of batteries in maybe 10 years(and that was probably because it got left on for nearly half a year).

Stu

I have a Mity Digital test indicator, don't actually use it that much as I prefer the visual sweeping arm over the numbers for a lot of things but the battery life , oh my god. I left it on and hadn't used it for about 4 months , batteries still fine , hardly ever change them , think it's done two sets of batteries in maybe 10 years(and that was probably because it got left on for nearly half a year).

Stu

I can't speak to indicators specifically, but I think the electronic "guts" of that are at least in principal, the same as what's going on in digital calipers. Good electronics (coupled with good displays) are like that. Just like a digital wrist watch. Leaving the display on doesn't bother the battery life any. I have at work, several pairs of calipers that are pretty much scribes and compasses, and a "good" set, which is clearly a rebrand to a company who doesn't make calipers. The "good" ones, the display usually hasn't been turned off since I bought them three or five years ago, and I just had to buy the battery recently. The pair they replaced, another good pair, same thing. Solid couple of years on a battery, with or without the display turned on. My (presumably) crap grade ones, the ones I get at a low price so that I can do things to a caliper that you shouldn't ever do to a caliper- Doesn't matter, 357 batteries or 2032 batteries, manual on/off, automatic on/off, manual on/auto off, any way they make 'em, if you leave them on for a week and they're dead. Leave them off for a couple of months, and they're dead. Humid weather, cut that in half.

For reference, when I say "good" calipers, I can't tell you who made them, I'm not talking about "high end", I'm just talking about "not junk". One "good set" was a tool truck purchase, so converted for the convenience tax/ expensive and borderline obsolete business model pricing, it's probably roughly an 80 dollar set at regular retail, the current set is a house brand for a local store, they were near to 100. I have a couple of cheap Fowlers,and a big expensive disappointment from the MAC tools truck (the inch/metric/fraction contraption), and some harbor freight and/or home depot crap that were bought just to cut the jaws for something.

Bottom line... Who made the piece, and how much pride they have in their name really matters of you want to have a "good" set.

Ok, so it seems your original link in post #1 doesn't seen to actually be the auction you bought from. Sellers name is wrong, amongst other things. I found it by searching the item number in your purchase order pic:

The pictures in that auction all show what appears to be a "real" Mitutoyo vernier and this sellers feedback score is 100% over 58 transactions, which all seem to be for mitu calipers of one size or another.

Probably best to post some pictures of the actual item you received if you want an option on if it's real or not....

OK. Here's a photo of the battery contacts (on the circuit board, insude the battery cover).of the item I got.Battery contacts.JPG Compare this to the real/fake images in the video.

Edit: aha, I see what's happened here. It seems there are two different purchases being discussed in this thread. The link from post #1 seems to show "fake" or questionable mitu's, the link from post #11 (the auction listed above) appears to be selling "real" mitu's...

Yesterday I told ebay that the calipers were counterfeit and requested a returnand/or refund. I got the refund today. Thanks to those of you who encouraged me to go to ebay!

I think it's now tie to buy a Shars 8" digital caliper (directly from Shars).

I know it's not Mitutoyo.. I bought some of Shars large screen Aventor calipers and I've been very happy with them. Their prices for these on ebay are a really good deal. Low enough a guy can have a few around the shop.

They are usually pretty good about combining shipping.

I have a nice Mitutoyo in the drawer for when that's what is needed.

IGaging digi cal, the ones with the huge digits, are good too. I wore one out after 5 or 6 years, so I bought another couple. They've always checked out well with gauge blocks. They're only $30 or so from Amazon.

Another thread on this topic with my own example:

Rick “need to dig up the pics” Denney

I know it's not Mitutoyo.. I bought some of Shars large screen Aventor calipers and I've been very happy with them. Their prices for these on ebay are a really good deal. Low enough a guy can have a few around the shop.

They are usually pretty good about combining shipping.

I have a nice Mitutoyo in the drawer for when that's what is needed.
These look good and are a decent price. I like the big display, too. How do they feel when you use them?

I guess I want something that feels good to use: smooth-sliding, nice fit and finish, not plastic-y crap. I have some old import calipers I got in college and they actually still measure just fine, but they still feel rough, even after all these years. I can afford nicer ones now, so I'm looking around. I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't need NASA-grade, but I like using nice tools.

I have some Craftsman dial calipers that are actually pretty nice. I think they were made by Mitutoyo. I also have a pair of Vinca digital calipers that live inside my house. I use them when I need metric, too. I have some Craftsman vernier ones as well, and these feel really nice.

I have five of the 6" scattered around the sop and one of the 12". I think the feel good. The big display is great. And, they use a much more common CR2032 battery. I'm happy with them. Especially at $33 for the 6". They did combine shipping when I bought 4 calipers.

Back