Are these Atlas parts?

dockterj

Registered
Registered
Three "leftovers" after all parts on my MFA mill are accounted for. These were in the cross slide gib screws when I disassembled the mill and appear unnecessary there as the gib screws have the correct tip.

IMG_2361.jpg

Put 'em back! There are several reasons. The first and simplest reason is that without them, the gib screws will be 1/4 inch too short. Which calls for shaping new screws at the tip. Then there is the issue of the screws rotating as they are adjusted. Under some conditions the screw can be too loose and with 1/16 rotation be too tight. Proper adjustment will be difficult.

Then there is the matter of the slugs being a softer metal than the screw. I have an MFC, mine are brass. I can't say whether they were OEM, I bought it used. I will concede that I replaced the screws. The machine originally had setscrews, I replaced them with socket capscrews. Again, I don't know if they were original.

It will be a while before I get the table on, but I checked again and the set screws for the table are not long enough to engage the gib. So I need these extensions. However, the parts breakdown shows 7/8" set screws for both the table and cross slide gibs, and mine are all 3/4" so with the correct setscrews those extensions would not be needed. None of the parts breakdowns show anything like the above parts.

Bill, I changed the gibs screws on my lathe to socket head cap as well. I found them easier to adjust as I could hold the allen wrench while snugging the jam nut.

No foul for using the extensions, as long as the clearance is taken up, that’s all that is necessary

Back