Are Good Used Lathes Like Unicorns?

Looking at the new machines similar in size to what I have I see the new stuff is pretty light weight in comparison. My old
Monarch weighs at least 6000 pounds and a new lathe in 1640 category is about a third of that. I would gain the ability
to machine a more accurate cylindrical surface possibly and do metric threading but would lose rigidity for sure. Even a worn
machine can do good work if one knows it's limitations. The Monarch has served me well and has seen a lot of improvements
so it gets to sit where it is for years to come. If someone stole my Monarch(not likely) I would find another one to replace it. :grin:

I've never found a unicorn but I found a 1941 lathe with 0.0002 tir lots of lathes near me in great condition not many new ones for sale but out there I would get a new lathe finding a old lathe in good condition out there is hard. My lathe is a 9x15 and weighs 1500 lbs new ones of that size are really light. buy a new one

Ditto from Georgia. I searched for a couple of years as well. Ended up buying a new Eisen 1440. Only regret was that I didn't buy it sooner. And like erikmannie noted, I added a pretty nice used Chinese 1340 to the marketplace. Had SIX offers in the first two or three days listed on Craig's List. First guy to show up bought it.

We have just as much of an equipment desert here as you guys have in AZ. For example, I've been trying to find a nice surface grinder for a couple of years. If a good one shows up, it's usually gone before I've finished reading the ad. Some junk has been out there for years but nothing worth buying. Still looking.

Regards

Seems to be two factors when considering used machinery

1) the distance you are willing to travel.
For me this is one of the biggest problems. I want to go see it before I spend thousands of dollars, and driving more than ~2-3 hours a way becomes a rate limiting factor when you consider you have to drive back too.

2) the price you are willing to pay.
A PM 1640TL is a $15,000 machine. Most of the time, it seems like people want to find used machines for <$5,000. That's really an apples to oranges comparison. I suspect there are a lot more used quality used machines out there in the ~$10,000 price range that might be in very good condition.

Reactions: tjb
I waited 50 years to get a good used lathe. What a joke. Tired old crap is tired old crap. I bought a brand new china made 9x20 lathe and I have enjoyed it every time I use it.

I also bought a China made milling machine. It does a terrific job on everything I do with it.

Affordable, usable, and get it now.

The caution I would mention is beware of the machines that use their own special mounting for the chucks and get a common quill size.

Also of note and referencing TJB (Terry's) post...
I had a PM1022 Chinese lathe before I bought my 1440E Eisen. I paid about $1700 for it a few years ago. I placed an ad on a Thursday night for $2400 just for the heck of it, not thinking it would sell. Friday morning I get a message "I will take it". At first I thought it was a scam but turns out he lived just 7 miles away from me. He came and picked it up that afternoon. I used a machine for 5 years and sold it for $700 more than I paid for it.

Also of note and referencing TJB (Terry's) post...
I had a PM1022 Chinese lathe before I bought my 1440E Eisen. I paid about $1700 for it a few years ago. I placed an ad on a Thursday night for $2400 just for the heck of it, not thinking it would sell. Friday morning I get a message "I will take it". At first I thought it was a scam but turns out he lived just 7 miles away from me. He came and picked it up that afternoon. I used a machine for 5 years and sold it for $700 more than I paid for it.
I find myself usually on the 'buying' end of deals like that. Do you give lessons?

Back