Arc of Shame - Any Worse than this?

If you need to replace the table I've got some 1 3/8" AS517 plate at the shop. Its been outside but still will clean up nice. I'm about 50 miles west of Houston.

That is the worst drill press table I've ever seen! There is no excuse for tearing that thing up that bad. I have an old craftsman drill press that was made in the 40's and the table on it has ONE small divot where I ran through a piece of steel when I was a young teenager, likely one of my second or third time ever using a drill press. Every time I put something on that table to work on it I remember to check the depth and if the bit will hit the table. Its not hard to throw a piece of wood on the table and drill into that instead the table itself but I guess some people just don't have the time for all that!

I could give a drill press to a 3rd grader, and it would look better than that. Arc of Shame indeed. Luckily you came along to save it!

I guess if a Chinese worker make a damage like that one he'll be sent to pick rice with his toes!

If you need to replace the table I've got some 1 3/8" AS517 plate at the shop. Its been outside but still will clean up nice. I'm about 50 miles west of Houston.

Thanks Twraska, I appreciate the offer, but I have it covered. I will show pictures when I finish paint and assembly in a week or two.

Not long ago, somebody posted one pretty bad. -So bad, it looked like someone used it as an arc welding table and burned right through. -We actually had some debate if that might actually be what caused the damage...

Anyhow, you possibly got a winner on your hands and at least, second place.

Ray

Well, I found the other thread... that one was a Delta... maybe this was done by some disgruntled powermatic people :)

Entry #1:
attachment.php?attachmentid=78856&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1402885616.jpg

Entry #2:
attachment.php

I think we might have a tie here

Last edited by a moderator:
IF that stayed in My shop (doubtful) I would not want ANYONE to see it as they might think I was a hack, and would wonder about the quality of My work.

Well, I found the other thread... that one was a Delta... maybe this was done by some disgruntled powermatic people :)

Entry #1:
attachment.php?attachmentid=78856&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1402885616.jpg

Entry #2:
attachment.php

I think we might have a tie here

Either that or we found out where their next job was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote the second picture is worse. At least the first table has some metal remaining between the holes.

Back