Appropriate way to hold end mill?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have several double ended 5/8 and 3/4" endmills. They have a flat in the middle of the shaft. I have held these in R8 collets but there is a lot of stickout since they cannot seat very far inside the collet. Especially the 3/4". Is this acceptable? What is the appropriate way to hold these long double ended mills? I have considered cutting them in half. Would that be inadvisable?

Robert

I use the double enders but never for any heavy milling applications . Cutting them in half for use in a collet works great . The older heavy duty mills that had the large deep holders had no issues with the double enders because they were made for them and they were to cheaper to purchase . Cutoff wheel on a chop saw makes this an easy fix .

Please post a picture of the 3/4" cutter laying next to a 6" (or longer) scale?
I'm guessing the gripping diameter in your R8 collets is about an inch long.
Therefore, any tool shank extending into the collet, beyond the gripping diameter, is superfluous.

Sounds like a Weldon shank on the end mill. There are R8 Weldon shank holders
1612646015198.png

1612647730776.png

1612647741968.png

That end mill is inserted all the way. No way with this fit in an end mill holder.
I will likely cut this in half.
Robert

I use them that way when in a hurry , but for plunge cuts only . :cautious:

They will fit in a Weldon holder, the Weldons are made just for that.

You might want to check other 3/4" collets. My Enco collet will only accept 2.4" of a 3/4" end mill. My Tormach collet will accept 2.8" and my Crawford collet will accept 3.2".

Reactions: rwm
I cut them in half, even if they would fit, I don’t want the sharp edges up inside my collets

They will fit in a Weldon holder, the Weldons are made just for that.
Are you certain? I don't have a 3/4" endmill holder but the 1/2" I have does not have much depth.
Robert

Back