Anyone with a drokits setup? decent quality?

Even for individual scales like the iGaging, you might consider a similar central battery setup. Radio Scrap sells a good variety of battery holders. You could also go with a wall wart of suitable voltage. My usual source for these is Goodwill - $1 or 2 is typical.

that is a neat idea.

As for the shars or CDCO DROs that are on the lesser expense margins - I personally find that they are high expense enough that I'd rather pay a bit more and get a more capable setup (AKA the $500 DROs range). I suppose mentally I feel comfortable in that price bracket. to each their own?

Unfortunately, not available with any "cheap" system I know of.

Yes, after doing a bit more research and contacting the providers I came to realize this as well. Thinking further ahead, while this feature is convenient, I think it is more suitable for CNC setups than for manual DROs as you still need to manually operate the table, so it's not like this is relieving you of the zeroing process all together. I will be doing this part manually after all it seems, which as you mentioned - for hobby work isn't all that time consuming and difficult.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just got a bunch of iGaging at Grizzly, as they were already cheap, then 30% off!

I will let you know how they are. I plan on running wires from a wall wart to them as well.

Bernie

I'm still trying to figure out why dro's are so expensive, especially the Chinese import dro's.

Ok, pulled the trigger on a TDS-3i from thedrostore. they seem comparable to the drokits units in terms of price and functions, but have better fitting scale lengths. I'll create a separate thread once I receive and install the unit

If you want to use Igaging scales check this sight out. http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/02/new-version-of-android-dro-coming.html Aand Yuriy is a member here.

oh man... if only I've seen this earlier. I might have been tempted to build one of those. this is really cool!

... I still plan on getting a DRO for the lathe at somet point in the future, maybe I'll try this one out then. thanks for posting this.

I seem to be missing something... What kind of sensors does this droid app work with? Just curious...

If I understand properly, it seems there are bluetooth DRO sensors this app is reading from. Nice idea! I know a lttle about embedded systems and think this has possibilities provided the app is removed from a smartphone environment and run on a tablet. (BTW: I have many early patents and defensive publications from the beginning days of cell phones. Most smartphone apps are buggy as heck due to flawed/misbehaved environment. And I trust them for nothing).

Ray

If you want to use Igaging scales check this sight out. http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/02/new-version-of-android-dro-coming.html Aand Yuriy is a member here.

I seem to be missing something... What kind of sensors does this droid app work with? Just curious...

If I understand properly, it seems there are bluetooth DRO sensors this app is reading from. Nice idea! I know a lttle about embedded systems and think this has possibilities provided the app is removed from a smartphone environment and run on a tablet. (BTW: I have many early patents and defensive publications from the beginning days of cell phones. Most smartphone apps are buggy as heck due to flawed/misbehaved environment. And I trust them for nothing).

Ray

It is using the iGaging sensors (sold on amazon/grizzly/ebay/etc) connected to a DYI controller with a bluetooth transmitter that the android device (smartphone or tablet) can connect and communicate with.

Ok, pulled the trigger on a TDS-3i from thedrostore. they seem comparable to the drokits units in terms of price and functions, but have better fitting scale lengths. I'll create a separate thread once I receive and install the unit

:ups: I will be waiting! BTW I don't use the "smilies" often but has everyone seen the additional smilies 4? I want to find a reason to use some of those.

Good luck with those iGaging sensors. My experience with them was not good. The repeatability was @ plus and minus .003". Not accurate enough for me!
I bit the bullet and got the 3 axis DRO Pro. One of my better buys.

Randy

Good luck with those iGaging sensors. My experience with them was not good. The repeatability was @ plus and minus .003". Not accurate enough for me!
I bit the bullet and got the 3 axis DRO Pro. One of my better buys.

Randy

Randy,
I've noticed that the newer batches are getting worse, unfortunately. The first two units I've built were spot on (repeatable to sub 0.0001"). One of the recent builds (for my new X3 is still waiting for a THIRD replacement unit from Grizzly. (two were good, one was a complete fluke). A 36" scale I got for my lathe went right back to the seller and the replacement is almost good (has one spot where it's off, but it will be cut off once the scale is cut to zie).

I'm waiting for a set of glass scales (more accurately, for a budget for a set of glass scales) and will be making a controller that can run those. I'm still happy to have the iGaging DRO on the mill, as it saves me gobs of time, but for very accurate work I still double check just in case).

Regards
Yuriy

Back